Women's soccer prepares for battle versus Loyola

Women's soccer prepares for battle versus Loyola: Senior midfielder Marissa Sarkesian and the Badgers will look to increase their offensive production against the Loyola Ramblers.

The Wisconsin women's soccer team (1-3-0 Big Ten, 4-6-1 overall) will be taking a one-game conference break, to host Loyola (3-0-0 Horizon, 8-5-0) Thursday at the McClimon Soccer Complex. 

Wisconsin picked up its first conference win of the season on Sunday against Ohio State by a score of 1-0, after being tripped up by Purdue, Indiana and Penn State. Head coach Paula Wilkins said she hopes the momentum will carry over into Thursday's game to end Loyola's six-game winning streak. 

We have got to do the right things for ourselves,"" Wilkins said. ""We got to make sure that we defend well. We need to make sure that we are tackling and being competitive, especially on first and second balls."" 

Wisconsin has played strong defense for most of the season and has lost only one game by more than two goals. 

""I also think we need to attack with some numbers,"" Wilkins said. ""We haven't done that in the past and we have just started doing that in the last couple of weekends. So, we got to focus on our little details and make sure we take care of all the details, especially in the back."" 

The Badger offense has only been able to score one goal since their game against Northern Arizona on Sept. 16 and have been shut out every game until the Ohio State match. 

""We had been waiting for that first conference win and it felt great to finally get it on Sunday,"" senior midfielder Marissa Sarkesian said. ""That win gave us some confidence for the Big Ten and hopefully we will get a win against Loyola and carry that momentum into the rest of the Big Ten games that we have this season."" 

Cold weather may be a factor in Thursday's game, but the team has been practicing in chilly temperatures all week. However, the Badgers have more important things to worry about than their feet going numb. 

""I think we definitely need to get a win [Thursday], and more than that, I think we just want to come out and play well,"" junior forward Taylor Walsh said. ""That was something we were finally able to do this past weekend and we hope it carries over in the game against Loyola. I think we are heading in the right direction."" 

Walsh is currently leading the Badgers in goals scored, knocking in three of the team's seven goals on the season. Along with the seniors on the Wisconsin squad, Walsh has been a positive leader both on and off the field. 

""Paula said [Loyola] is a hard team and that they are really physical,"" Walsh said. ""They will come out ready to work hard and just hit us. So, yeah, I think this game will be just as intense as every other game we have played."" 

Kickoff for Thursday's game against the Ramblers will be at 7 p.m.