Firing blanks: Illini shutout Badgers, end UW's short streak

Firing blanks: Illini shutout Badgers, end UW's short streak: After she scored two goals against Loyola, Wisconsin junior forward Tricia Krombach and the Badgers could not find the net versus Illinois.

Sunday afternoon's game against Illinois is not one the Wisconsin women's soccer team wants to remember as the Badgers were shutout 3-0 on the Fighting Illini's home field. Wisconsin dropped to 1-4 in the Big Ten and 5-7-1 overall and Illinois improved to 3-2-1 Big Ten and 8-4-1 overall. 

After picking up its first conference win of the season against Ohio State and trumping Loyola Chicago on Thursday night, Wisconsin was hoping to carry some of that momentum with them when Big Ten conference play resumed. But it never materialized. 

The Fighting Illini led the offensive drive for most of the first half, but did not capitalize on their scoring opportunities. Deflections off of the crossbar and solid play from Wisconsin's junior goalkeeper Jamie Klages worked in the Badger's favor early in the contest.  

Illinois' go-ahead goal came 44 minutes into play off a free kick by freshman midfielder Danielle Kot. Kot passed the ball to senior midfielder Kara Gostisha, who headed the ball through the Badger defense and past Klages from six yards out. Illinois held this 1-0 lead at half. 

Wisconsin entered the second half with more flare but was not able to put the ball in the back of the net. Junior forward Tricia Krombach, who scored two goals for Wisconsin against Loyola, had a header shot within the first few minutes of the second half. The ball soared just outside of the net. Krombach took another shot seconds later, but the ball flew wide right of the goal. 

Junior forward Taylor Walsh had a shot on goal in the 60th minute, but Illinois' senior goalkeeper Lindsey Carstens made the save. 

Twenty minutes later, junior Illini forward Charlotte Cooke scored her first goal of the season off a break away pass from junior midfielder Marti Desjarlais. Less than two minutes later, Illinois scored its third and final goal when rookie midfielder Cory Steigerwald took a shot from the left corner of the box, which was deflected in. 

Wisconsin's sophomore midfielder Krista Liskevych led the Badgers with two shots on goal. 

Walsh and Krombach also attempted two shots. Both teams' goalkeepers, Klages and Carstens, registered three saves. Illinois out-shot Wisconsin 6-to-18, which played a factor in Sunday's game. 

The Badgers will be traveling to Michigan next weekend to challenge both the Wolverines and the Spartans, both of whom are in search of their first conference win.  

The first match will be against Michigan State (0-6 Big Ten, 6-8-1 overall), who is on a six game losing streak, Friday night. The game against Michigan (0-4-2 Big Ten, 3-9-3 overall) is scheduled for Sunday afternoon. 

- uwbadgers.com  

contributed to this report.