Carlton's warm vocals and beautiful melodies promise commercial success

Vanessa: Vanessa matures on her third release after rediscovering her musical self.

Many remember Vanessa Carlton's first hit, A Thousand Miles,"" but few can probably name more of her music. Despite a melodic, honeyed voice and catchy piano rhythms, she hasn't had a great deal of commercial success. Her third album, _Heroes & Thieves_, has the potential to change that.  

Heroes & Thieves_ is Carlton's best album so far. Her sound has evolved a great deal and generally flows better than her previous music. It has also gotten considerably more optimistic. Her first album, _Be Not Nobody', had a dark tone to it. Her songs had themes of heartbreak and pain only thinly disguised by her soothing style. On 'Heroes & Thieves', most of her lyrics are lighter and fit the music better. 

Her lighter tone can be seen in her newest single, ""Nolita Fairytale."" The song is an explanation for the whole album, talking about how Carlton had to take a break and step back from her life to find her music again. 'Heroes & Thieves', the song says, is the product of the singer rediscovering who she is. The improvement in her music is proof that more artists should do the same. 

In ""Nolita Fairytale,"" Carlton thanks ""Stevie"" for helping her find her way. This isn't just a random shout out; she's thanking famous singer Stevie Nicks, who collaborated with her on the track ""The One."" Fans of Stevie Nicks will feel her influence in the track, blended seamlessly with Carlton's own style.  

The album also shows the singer's willingness to try new methods and experiment with her songs. Tracks such as ""My Best"" and ""More Than This"" use echoes and background vocals to add depth and create a sweeping, emotional effect. ""More Than This"" also has Carlton utilizing more of her vocal range, stretching her voice to make a wispy and romantic sound. 

Listeners who have enjoyed Carlton's previous albums, 'Be Not Nobody' and 'Harmonium', will be pleased with the new 'Heroes & Thieves'. It's perfect music for a rainy day: a warming blend of mellow vocals, beautiful melodies and bittersweet lyrics.