UW looks to avoid Bulldog upset

Jason Chapman: Junior defensive tackle Jason Chapman has been a distruptive force up the middle for the Badgers' defense this season.

UW looks to avoid Bulldog upset

The first ever meeting between the Citadel Bulldogs (2-0) and UW (2-0) will take place this Saturday at Camp Randall in front out of a sold-out sea of red."" 

With last Saturday's dramatic win at UNLV, UW gained sole possession of the nation's longest winning streak, as it has currently won 11 consecutive games, including eight straight at home, dating back to last season. 

The Bulldogs are fresh off their 76-0 thrashing of Webber State, and in their first two games the Citadel has outscored their opponents by a total of 111-14. 

While the level of competition may have been a bit less intense for the Bulldogs, UW has seen in recent weeks what these rather unknown institutions can accomplish and want nothing to do with past results. 

""We've seen it first-hand with Appalachian State beating Michigan [and] Southern Illinois beating Northern Illinois a year ago. The Citadel beats Northwestern. Montana State beats Colorado,"" defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz said. ""So they have ability, they have capability, and we have to be ready to play."" 

A week ago at UNLV, UW was matched up against a spread offense. This week it may seem like déjà  vu, as the same style of offense comes to Madison, which historically has given the Badgers a rough time. 

""Basically we have to improve on third down. We have to set the edge better at the linebacker position, and we're going to do that,"" junior linebacker Jonathan Casillas said. ""Guys are getting into film session, we're going and watching film and we're learning, and I think we're improving every day. So we're going to go out there and improve against the Citadel."" 

For the Bulldogs, it is not very often they get to play in a major college football venue, and they have the opportunity to make some noise on a national scale. If they come out and put points up early, there is no knowing what can happen. 

""They're going to come in here, they're coming off a 76-0 win. They're probably playing on the biggest stage they've ever played in with a lot of momentum,"" sophomore Elijah Hodge said. ""Why wouldn't they want to knock us off? I mean we're a top 10 school ... so I know they're going to be fired up."" 

The Badgers will come out on the field sporting their red-on-red jerseys for the second time this season, and this has the head coach calling for a ""sea of red"" on Saturday. 

""I love the red and white, but if we could leave the white caps, the white t-shirts, the gray t-shirts behind, I'd love to walk into Camp Randall and see a sea of red for everybody in the stands,"" Bielema said. ""I think one of the things I began to see and experience in college football is if you can walk into an environment like that with everybody in one color, it's kind of an overwhelming thing for everybody to be a part of.""