Proposal allowing UW faculty to unionize draws fierce criticism

Republicans in the state Legislature have recently called on Democrats to remove a budget proposal that would give UW System faculty members the right to vote on collective bargaining. 

State Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, asked Democrats in the state Senate to eliminate the provision from its proposed budget. 

Grothman said if UW professors unionize, it could make them bitter, more expensive and monolithic."" He also said that professors' unions could hold too much political sway. 

""I think unions are more likely to give money to political candidates '¦ they'd rather turn the university into a hotbed of partisan political activity,"" Grothman said.  

Mike Mikalsen, a spokesperson for state Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, said the proposed unionization is not a new issue in the state legislature.  

Mikalsen said the strong tenure protection UW-Madison professors enjoy is a major reason past unionization efforts have not passed.  

""If unionization were to become reality, they would have to give up tenure protection,"" Mikalsen said.  

Current tenure protection statutes ""are a far better option"" than the benefits they could receive from collective bargaining, according to Mikalsen.  

Unless tenure protection is removed, collective bargaining will remain stalled in the state Legislature, he said.  

Mark Supanich, co-president of the Teaching Assistants Association, said tenure benefits are not enough because not all professors are tenured. 

""You're seeing a lot more part-time faculty or lecturers teaching classes, more than you did 10 or 20 years ago '¦ they don't have any long term security,"" Supanich said. 

The TAA has had collective bargaining rights since 1985. 

Josh Wescott, spokesman for state Senate Majority Leader Judy Robson, D-Beloit, said he did not express concern about any of the demands that the proposed  

union could make. 

""This is about making sure we have the best and brightest minds here [in Wisconsin],"" Westcott said, referring to the ability of the state to recruit and retain faculty.  

Wescott also added that the proposals by Grothman are akin to slamming the doors on higher education and wrapping them in ""barbed wire and electric fencing."" 

The university administration is not taking a stance on the issue.  

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said that the collective bargaining provision is an issue for faculty and staff to decide on, not administrators.  

""They are all capable of being independent thinkers,"" Giroux said. ""They are capable of making the decision on their own.""