Nebraska transfer Klages, a keeper for women's soccer

keeper: Junior goalie Jamie Klages has filled in nicely for the Badgers.

Being the last line of defense is nerve-wracking in any sport, especially when you have a very large goal to protect and balls are constantly being launched at your head. 

Wisconsin junior Jamie Klages would not have it any other way. Ever since her first day of 2nd grade soccer practice, Klages has been a goalkeeper to reckon with. 

As a transfer student-athlete from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and a native of Coronado, Calif., Klages came to Madison unsure of what to expect.  

However, she did have a few goals in mind: to have fun, work hard and make a positive difference to the Badger squad.  

It was time for me to go [leave Nebraska], and I am lucky to have found this program, these girls and these coaches,"" Klages said. ""I think it is a perfect fit for me to be playing for Wisconsin."" 

Klages is not the only one who is excited she is a Badger. Her teammates and coaches expressed that Klages gets along with everyone on the team and carries a positive attitude that is contagious. 

""Jamie stepped in, and I think fit in right away,"" said senior captain Ann Eshun. ""She saw her role, took it very well and blended with the team. She's an older player and she has just been great. It has been great having her. Jamie always works hard and she doesn't take her starting position for granted."" 

Wisconsin is only six games into its season and already Klages has tallied 31 total saves and three shutouts. Those are decent numbers to pad her confidence going into Big Ten conference play, starting next weekend at Purdue. 

""I think she brings an experience in goals and humors me, that's for sure,"" head coach Paula Wilkins said when asked what Klages brings to the team. ""When I first met her, I wasn't sure how competitive she was going to be. But after watching her in the past few games, I can tell that she is out there to keep the ball out of the back of the net ... She gets the job done."" 

Associate coach Tim Rosenfeld, who is also new to the Wisconsin program after being on Penn State's coaching staff with Wilkins for six years, said Klages is a very unique individual who he is honored to work with this season. 

""I think Klages has a different kind of personality,"" Rosenfeld said. ""She's pretty witty, but is very relaxed at practice and relaxed in the goal. I think that's why [Wilkins] says that she gives her gray hair. But at the same time, when a situation becomes competitive she kind of switch-turns and she's a different kind of person.""  

""Jamie doesn't like to lose and she doesn't like to give up goals, but she leaves it all on the field,"" Rosenfeld added.  

""As a goalkeeper, you definitely have to be a leader,"" Eshun said. ""You have to have that control in the back and have that attitude no matter what. She has experience, and that will help her even more next year."" 

Aside from being successful on the soccer field, Klages has also performed well in the classroom. She was placed on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor roll in 2006 and has an ambition of becoming a curator at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. 

Klages stressed that it is difficult balancing her studies and soccer, but if you are pleased with what you are doing, you will find the time to make it all work. 

""I think it is challenging for any college athlete to balance their time, but if you find a major that you really want to do, and Art History is exactly what I want to do, then it's not such a problem,"" Klages said.