Halliburton will still recruit despite protest group's plans

Halliburton will still appear on campus Thursday to recruit UW-Madison engineering students for employment, the company said, despite protest threats from a campus anti-war group. 

The Campus Antiwar Network said it plans to attempt to block students from meeting with Halliburton recruiters because they believe the oil services company, once run by Vice President Dick Cheney, profited from the Iraq war.  

Halliburton spokesperson Melissa Norcross said, Halliburton and its subsidiaries have no employees or work in Iraq or Afghanistan."" 

""Halliburton Company has never been contracted for services by the U.S. government, particularly none of the logistics support services frequently discussed in the media today."" 

Norcoss said the company, which has 50,000 employees in 70 countries and plans to hire 13,000 new employees in 2007, is using UW-Madison campus resources ""in order to meet the increasing demand for personnel resources around the world."" 

""Halliburton is focused on leveraging a highly skilled, global workforce through aggressive recruiting, vigorous retention and accelerated development,"" she said. 

CAN member Chris Dols said Tuesday at an organizational meeting, ""The UW anti-war group is trying to do our part to build the most powerful movement against the war."" 

In 1967, protests against the Dow Chemical Co., which made napalm used in the Vietnam War, took place in Madison, many of which ended in violence.