Business school drops in MBA rankings

UW-Madison School of Business' MBA program dropped slightly in the 2007 list of top MBA business programs published Monday by the Wall Street Journal and Harris Interactive. 

In the seventh annual publication, UW-Madison's program was ranked 32nd in the regional category of the rankings. The rankings are based on surveys of 4,000 recruiters. 

There are many, many different ways that business schools are ranked. In particular, the Wall Street Journal emphasizes recruiter opinion, so it's not surprising to us that it bounces around a little bit given that it's so heavily weighted toward recruiter opinions,"" said Ken Kavajecz, associate dean for MBA programs. 

UW-Madison's MBA program was ranked 25th in 2006, 33rd in 2004, and 34th in 2005. 

""We're very confident that our overall fundamentals, which are student quality, student satisfaction while they're here and placement success, is very solid,"" he said.  

The top ranked school this year was Dartmouth College's Tuck School of Business, which held this position for the second year in a row in the national ranking. Brigham Young University's Marriott School of Management placed first in the regional U.S. ranking. 

""Rankings bounce around and if we are committed to the fundamentals of what we do as a business school, people will notice that and the rankings will come our way,"" Kavajecz said.