Ogg Hall the newest Campus Master Plan addition

A fixture in the campus skyline since 1965, Ogg Hall will be torn down piece by piece beginning in August to make way for green space along the East Campus Mall. 

However, the building will be missed, said 2006-'07 resident Tanya Wallin. 

""Ogg was exactly like what I thought a dorm would be like, but I think the best part was just getting to know everybody in my house and making friends there,"" Wallin said. ""There was a real sense of community.""  

The 1,000-bed residence hall will be replaced with the new 600-bed hall retaining the Ogg name at the corner of North Park and Dayton Streets, which will open to residents in August, in time for the fall 2007 semester.  

""It's just a really nice building that we think students will enjoy living in,"" Director of University Housing Paul Evans said of the new residence hall. 

The new Ogg will feature a cluster-style floor plan with bathrooms shared by no more than eight residents, similar to the plan of the neighboring 425-bed Newell J. Smith Hall that opened in August 2006.  

Also included will be kitchenettes on each floor, central air-conditioning, classrooms, a music practice room, computer lab space and state-of-the-art security systems. 

The building will also feature a technology learning center where on-hand staff will be available to answer questions and provide help to students, Evans said. 

The renovated residence halls are just the beginning of a number of UW-Madison campus additions.  

The Campus Master Plan reveals numerous proposed changes over the next 25 years, including a Grainger Hall addition and Memorial Union and Union South renovations. 

Plans also feature an expanded Chazen Museum of Art, two new classroom buildings to replace the current Humanities building and a music performance facility at the northwest corner of University Avenue and Lake Street.  

The redeveloped University Square—a private-public partnership that will bring University Health Services and a new Student Activities Center together with private retail space and apartments—is already underway.  

""Our master plan for residence halls as well as a number of projects on campus ... are very exciting and important to the future of UW-Madison,"" Evans said.