Men’s and women’s track have successful weekend at home

At this weekend's Wisconsin Twilight Invitational, the Wisconsin men's track and field team built up much-needed momentum, capturing six events and four NCAA regional qualifying marks. 

The event was the Badgers' final meet of the season before postseason play. The invitational featured more than 700 men's and women's athletes from 30 clubs and teams. Some of the top Division I teams competitors included Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, Wisconsin and a number of state and regional Division II and Division III teams. The Badgers did not disappoint their hometown supporters at Dan McClimon Memorial Track. 

One of the big winners at the invitational was senior Paul Hubbard, who continues to show his prowess as a two-sport athlete in both football and track. Hubbard won the long jump at a length of 24', 4.5\ and was also a member of the Badgers winning 400-meter relay team. Seniors Dan Goesch and Demi Omole and sophomore James Groce were the other Badger relay winners, finishing in 40.39 seconds. Both of Hubbard's victories were NCAA Regional qualifying marks. 

The Badgers had a dominating performance in high jump competition, placing three of the event's top four finishers. Senior Zach McCollum won the competition at a height of 6'10 and 3?4"", making him eligible for NCAA competition. Freshman Pat Nichols took second place at a height of 6'8 and 3?4"", and sophomore Brendan Boettcher cleared the same height with additional attempts for a fourth place finish. 

A trio of up-and-coming freshmen also registered key victories for the Badgers. Craig Miller won the 800 meters in a time of 1:51.16, Nate Larkin won the 110-meter high hurdles in 14.38 and David Pede won the 5,000 meters in 14:26.10. 

A special feature of the Wisconsin Twilight Invitational is its appearance of alumni competitors. Three former Wisconsin graduates were event winners in the competition. Matt Tegankamp, a 2005 graduate, set a track record in the 1,500 meters with a time of 3:40.13. Another 2005 graduate, Darren Niedermeyer, won the pole vault competition at a winning height of 18'4 and 1?2"". In the triple jump, 2006 graduate Alonzo Moore also claimed first place at 53'7 and 1?2"". 

The men's team will now travel to State College, Pa. for next weekend's Big Ten Conference Outdoor Championships. Wisconsin is seeking not only its fourth straight conference championship, but a fourth straight Big Ten Triple Crown: victories in indoor, cross country and outdoor track in the same academic year.  

Wisconsin women capture seven events 

The Wisconsin women's track and field team also had an impressive performance at this year's Wisconsin Twilight Invitational, leading up to their own Big Ten Conference Championship play. The Badgers had seven total victories, two NCAA regional qualifying marks and one school record.  

The most outstanding victory was junior Kayla Schultz's record-breaking win in the discus. She threw 169 feet, breaking the previous school record by two and a half feet. Her throw broke her own personal best by more than 10 feet and also qualified her for NCAA regional competition. 

Sophomore Caitlin Dodge also came up big for the Badgers with her victories in the 400 meters and the 400-meter relay. Freshman Angel Eggleston, junior Alex McCannel, and senior Venus Washington were the other 400-meter relay winners with a time of 47.08. Washington also claimed the long jump title at 18'10 and 1?2"". 

Wisconsin had three other first place finishes in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, 3,000 meters and javelin. Freshman Maggie Hippman won the steeplechase in 11:20.49, senior Katrina Rundhaug won the 3,000 meters in 9:47.82 and sophomore Amy Lewis won the javelin with a throw of 138'7"". 

Midway through the day's track events, a special ceremony was held to honor the seniors on the Wisconsin men's and women's track and field teams. The ceremony also recognized the 2007 NCAA Indoor Championship men's team.