Campaign finance reform sweeps Capitol

The Wisconsin state Senate held a public hearing Tuesday afternoon to discuss several newly proposed bills centered on reforming and regulating campaign finance laws.  

Senate Bill 77 proposes stricter regulation of campaign advertising and the involvement of special interest groups in funding. The bill, if passed, will require candidates to only use money that comes from regulated sources.  

Regulating sources of campaign funding will eliminate the ability of special interest groups to broadcast attack ads without disclosure of their association. 

Common Cause Wisconsin Executive Director Jay Heck stressed the importance of passing the bill.  

""The idea for this bill has been building over the last 10 years,"" he said. ""This bill is the most critical step towards reform in the Wisconsin Legislation."" 

State Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, said he recognizes the need to reform campaign finance law, according to a statement. Erpenbach serves as the vice chair on the Campaign Finance, Rural Issues and Information Technology committee.  

""The Legislature is ready to listen to the people of Wisconsin and move forward on real campaign finance reform,"" he said. ""We need to level the playing field so shadowy groups seeking to influence elections have to play by the same rules as everyone else."" 

Anther bill, Senate Bill 171, proposes public funding for state Supreme Court-justice campaigns. The bill requires campaign funds to be completely publicly funded for any Supreme Court candidate who agrees to follow regulations set by the state Assembly. 

Chair of the Committee on Campaign Finance Reform and author of Bill 171, state Sen. Pat Kreitlow, D-Chippewa Falls, discussed the widespread support of the bill throughout the Senate.  

""Wisconsin voters know even the appearance that justices and judicial candidates are tainted by campaign cash puts a black mark on our independent court system,"" Kreitlow said. ""Republicans and Democrats alike are eager to restore confidence and integrity to our state's judicial elections.""