UW students honor Va. Tech victims

Tears were shed as students, parents and teachers mourned Monday's Virginia Tech shooting at a memorial vigil held Wednesday night in Bascom Hall. 

""Our purpose tonight is to send messages of support and healing to our fellow colleagues and students at Virginia Tech University, and also to recognize how we can contribute to our own healing process,"" said UW-Madison Dean of Students Lori Berquam. 

Vigil attendants were asked to transcribe these messages on a flag and banner bearing the UW-Madison seal that will be sent directly to Virginia Tech's dean of students. One note read, ""I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."" 

Berquam read the names of the 33 who died in the tragedy, including gunman Cho Seung-Hui who took his own life. A moment of silence was observed, followed by two dramatic pieces played by a student string quartet. 

UW-Madison senior Anna Clauss said reality hit home when she learned that her brother, a Virginia Tech student who was in the building next-door when the shootings took place, was safe. 

""I've really taken away how important it is to show our support,"" she said. 

UW-Madison graduate and parent Mark Anderson, said students should realize the role they have in their parents' lives. 

""Listen to your children and their friends; consult them about what they think. It's important to see what can lie hidden under facades,"" he said. 

UW-Madison sophomore Katharine Dickson grew up in Virginia, only four hours away from Blacksburg, the site of the shooting. 

""What if it had happened here?"" Dickson asked. ""I'm sure there would have been just as many questions raised."" 

Among those present were Virginia Tech alumni, including a 1996 graduate who attended classes in Norris Hall—the engineering building where multiple shootings took place. 

Laura Bohne, a former Virginia Tech student who now attends UW-Madison, said she danced in a troupe with one of the victims, Virginia Tech freshman Reema Samaha.  

""[Reema] was the most beautiful person that anyone would ever meet,"" Bohne said of the student who was shot and killed in her French class. 

In wake of the tragedy, UW-Madison senior John Shea stressed the importance of prevention. 

""If people don't reach out and find that quiet, unique guy in the corner ... there will only be more tragedies. If there is an evil in the world it's alienation."" 

Members of various religious groups associated with UW-Madison were also present to extend their services. 

Berquam declared Friday, April 20 ""Orange and Maroon Effect Day"" in order to honor the students of Virginia Tech. The Carillon Bells will ring at noon Monday in remembrance of the tragedy's 1-week anniversary.