New City Council takes oath, debates UW textbook sales

The City Council swore in nine new alders Tuesday afternoon and later in the evening held its first meeting with the new council. 

City officials at the inauguration could opt to insert a statement into their oath opposing the civil union and marriage ban. Nine out of 20 alders, including Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and Mayor Dave Cieslewicz chose to insert this statement.  

In statement to the council, Cieslewicz said that while he respects the state Constitution, he could not take office without noting his strong opposition to the ban.  

""I respect the process that brought about what I consider to be the wrong result,"" Cieslewicz said. ""I believe that the same process will be used soon not only to reverse the amendment, but to go further to give all of us exactly the same right to marry, raise a family and be full members of our communities.""  

Verveer said the choice to include the supplemental statement was a personal one and that alders were not required to reveal their decision.  

""We did not keep our hands raised in the air after taking the oath of office ... besides taking an oath of office, we also then have to sign a piece of paper,"" Verveer said.  

Eli Judge, the new alder for District 8, said he is dedicated to fighting the ban and is in complete support of anyone who chose to take the statement. Still, he said he did not feel it necessary to declare that in his oath.  

""I have personal reservations when it comes to adding statements to the oath,"" Judge said.  

He said he will do his best to represent UW-Madison students as an alder and wants to make the campus community safer for students.  

""I'm really excited about being on the council,"" Judge said. ""Campus safety is No. 1 ... I'm just making that a huge priority.""  

Verveer, who was also sworn in as the new council president, said he looks forward to working with the new alders because they will bring fresh perspectives and new opportunities to the council.  

""I'm really optimistic. The council elected me new council president and I'm very honored to lead them in the new session,"" he said.  

Verveer, who has been the council president in years past, added, ""We have become more partisan in the past few years ... and I think there is a good chance we can get off to a fresh start with half of the council being new.""  

At the first City Council meeting of the new term, members debated and ultimately voted to refer a Madison ordinance amendment, which would include the regulation of secondhand-textbook sales.  

Textbook theft at student bookstores, such as University Bookstore, The Underground and A Room of One's Own, prompted former Council President Austin King to introduce the amendment before his term ended.  

The amendment would require bookstores to adopt stricter record-keeping procedures, something Verveer said is necessary to curb a prevalent problem he sees routinely as an attorney.  

""I just want folks to know ... that this is a serious problem; I see it in my day job,"" Verveer said. ""We've heard a lot about violent crime, and this is not violent, but it is a crime and there are victims ... it's more than a minor inconvenience.""  

Verveer also said the legislation would not only be helpful in arresting and prosecuting textbook thieves but that it would also be preventative.  

""One of the benefits of legislation would be to provide deterrence to people trying to steal and resell textbooks,"" Verveer said. ""If they knew they had to show a photo ID, I think it would have a deterrent effect.""  

Judge also spoke in support of the amendment. He said stolen textbooks affect a large number of students not just financially, but academically.  

""Losing books at a time like this would be devastating to students' grades,"" he said. ""I think the message sent out to campus [by the vote] will be an important one.""  

Sandy Torklidson, owner of A Room of One's Own on State Street, opposed the amendment because it would force her to violate her customers' privacy. 

""I don't think we want the police department holding onto the records of what people read in this city,"" Torklidson said. ""This doesn't even have a very good justification. I would never hand over that information on any of my customers because it's a very private thing.""  

The amendment will be recalled for discussion May 1.