Kaiser Chiefs fall short on ‘Yours Truly’

Every so often, a band comes along that is hailed as the recurrence of the British invasion—the next Beatles, Kinks, or Rolling Stones. Most recently, the Arctic Monkeys were hyped to high heaven, but in 2005 it was the Kaiser Chiefs who led the way for the return of Brit pop-rock. With their howling single ""I Predict A Riot"" and cheeky cockney charm, the band convinced desperate music fans all over Britain and the United States that rock ‘n' roll had finally returned. Although their impact was not quite so huge in America as in their homeland, the Kaiser Chiefs still sold millions of records and left fans in eager anticipation of their latest release, Yours Truly, Angry Mob. 

The album tries to pick up where the reckless energy of their previous effort, Employment, left off, acting once again as the voice of lower-class Britain with the band's trademark in-your-face rock sound—similar to a collision between the Clash and Franz Ferdinand.  

However, where the first album was primal and daring, the follow-up seems tired and overdone. Everything seems rushed and randomly thrown together, and while the ""angry mob"" mentality remains, this time the mob seems as if it isn't quite sure what it's so angry about.  

Sarcastic love songs are interspersed with political tirades against ""the man,"" each over melodies that are entertaining yet undeniably similar. While the first single, ""Ruby,"" is relentlessly catchy, with front man Ricky Wilson enthusiastically yelling ""Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby"" over throbbing guitar, the routine of an overblown, repetitive chorus soon begins to tire—especially since it is done in the majority of the songs. And as ""Ruby's"" infectious but lacking chorus implies, Wilson's lyrics leave much to be desired.  

He often moans about the difficulties of being working class, declaring, ""I want to retire / No longer required / I want to get by without the man on my back,"" yet he is hard to believe. His frustration seems manufactured and his words empty, his rebellious vibe continuing to fade as the album progresses, eventually becoming simply uninspired and forced.  

The ""angry mob"" theme becomes worn out as the band desperately tries to convince the listener that really, they seriously are mad, in the second track, titled—you guessed it—""Angry Mob,"" chanting, ""We are the angry mob / We read the papers everyday / We like who we like / We hate who we hate / But we're all so easily swayed."" Eventually, the listener is left wishing for just one slow song, which the Kaiser Chiefs are kind enough to grant in the Oasis-esque ""Love's Not A Competition (But I'm Winning)."" But once again, the lyrics here are repetitive and uncreative, especially exposed by the lack of instrumentation.  

While the album's pounding guitars and screaming choruses would serve well pumping through the loudspeakers at a football game, it fails to be anything more, with only a ghost of the energy and emotion the Kaiser Chiefs were known for—as Wilson ironically sings, ""'Cause this should be a thrill / But it feels like a drill.""