Faculty finalizes study day for future semesters

UW-Madison's University Committee will institute a full study day for finals at the conclusion of fall semesters, according to an April 18 letter from Secretary of the Faculty David Musolf to Associated Students of Madison Chair Dylan Rath. 

The current finals schedule is arranged so there is a 7:25 p.m. exam block on the designated study day, according to Musolf's letter. This conflict occurs on years in which Labor Day falls Sep. 4, 5, 6 or 7.  

According to Rath, who is also chair of the Study Break Committee for ASM, UW-Madison is the only Big Ten school without a permanent study day on its schedule. 

ASM has received a great amount of support from students, ""through petitions and endorsements, from shared governance committees"" for the institution of a study day, Rath said. ""We received the support of the Dean of Students and her office."" 

The Study Break Committee suggested the 7:25 p.m. exam block be moved to commencement day.  

Instead, the University Committee responded by eliminating the 7:25 p.m. exam period on the study day and combining two exam blocks on one of the official exam days.  

""Although it is possible that the combination may create a small number of exam conflicts, it is likely that the overall impact on students would be far less than transferring an additional exam block to the evening of commencement,"" Musolf wrote. ""The University Committee is prepared to implement this solution on a trial basis in the 2009-'10 fall semester, the next time that a 7:25 p.m. final exam block is scheduled on the study day."" 

""I think that this is a huge victory for students, especially those ones who always have final exams early in the exam period,"" Rath said.  

ASM will hold a press conference today at 1:15 p.m. detailing the study day ""victory,"" according to Rath.