Badgers split doubleheader with Bison

The UW softball team (2-4 Big Ten, 20-12 overall) earned a split decision Tuesday as it lost 3-1 and won 6-4 against North Dakota State (24-19). 

Bison junior pitcher Alison Bakke was too much for the Badgers in the first game of Tuesday's double dip. Working in pitchers' counts through most of the game and attacking with a killer fastball-change-up combination, Bakke had UW hitters guessing throughout her complete-game effort.  

""She was working the ladder with a fastball and change-up and she kept consistent through the game,"" freshman pitcher Letty Olivarez said. 

Bakke totaled seven strikeouts while giving up only one run and scattering four hits. Senior Athena Vasquez, who went 2-for-3 with two singles, was the offensive bright spot for the Badgers. After a single by reigning Big Ten Player of the Week senior Sam Polito, Vasquez followed suit. A fielding error by the Bison led Schulte to wave in Polito for UW's only run of the game.  

Senior Eden Brock worked out of a jam in the first and continued to pitch well through the first four innings. Brock allowed a home run to Bison freshman Melissa Chmielewski, the first batter of the inning. Brock recovered quickly, however, and retired the next three batters with the help of an excellent play by junior catcher Joey Daniels. Daniels retreated toward the backstop on a pop-fly by Bison sophomore Jackie Currie. Daniels was twisted around as the ball was batted by the wind but ended up making the catch while keeping her balance by hanging on to the netting behind home plate. 

The Bison tallied two more runs in the top of the fifth, which led to Brock being replaced by freshman Leah Vanevenhoven. Vanevenhoven, who entered the game with two outs already recorded, struck out the first batter she faced to end the Bison threat. 

Wisconsin tried to stir up a comeback bid in the bottom of the sixth but was held to only one run. The Badgers left two base runners on when sophomore Ricci Robben struck out to end the inning. 

""I think we weren't just making the adjustments that we needed to. [Bakke's] change-up was pretty fat and we weren't reacting to it, we weren't seeing it,"" Vasquez said of UW's day at the plate. 

The second game was a day-and-night difference for the Badgers, who seemed able to hit anything while playing under the lights at Goodman Diamond. 

In an effort to keep lightning in a bottle, the Bison started Bakke for the second game. This time however, it was the Badgers turn to shine. Trailing 1-0 in bottom of the second, Robben began the Badger turnaround. With one runner on, Robben squared up a 2-2 pitch and hammered it over the left-field fence for a two-run homer. 

The Badgers mounted a hit parade in the bottom of the third when the Bison replaced Bakke with junior Bekki Rasmussen. After failing to record an out and surrendering five Badger hits which led to four Badger runs, Rasmussen was lifted in favor of freshman Andi Padilla. 

Senior Athena Vasquez led the Badgers in hits, tallying three in six at bats over the two games. 

Head coach Chandelle Schulte saw the difference between UW's performance in game one versus game two. 

""[In game one] we didn't adjust at the plate and we gave up too many runs. We have to show up to play. We're going to get beat every time that we play if we don't,"" Schulte said. ""Let's just say we had a nice conversation in between games and ... I was very happy offensively. 

The Badgers continue their homestand Friday against Big Ten foe Indiana.