Troha pleads not guilty to illegal campaign donations

After indicted Kenosha businessman Dennis Troha pleaded not guilty Wednesday, the Capital Times furthered the ongoing investigation of a possible link between Troha and Gov. Jim Doyle.  

The Capital Times said Doyle spent Dec. 20, 2006, at a Christmas party hosted by Troha. According to the newspaper, the address of the holiday celebration was blacked out on the requested record and only after prying did the Doyle Administration confirm the party took place at Troha's residence.  

Troha is indicted for illegally funneling some $200,000 to family members to give to Doyle's campaign. 

Following Troha's not guilty plea on Wednesday, Troha's attorney Frank Gimbel told the Associated Press, ""It's important that people not make false conclusions on this case because of an indictment.""  

""A grand jury would indict a ham sandwich if the U.S. Attorney asked for it,"" he said. 

A conviction could send Troha to prison for up to 25 years and cost him half a million dollars. 

Since finding himself tied to Troha, the governor has kept the truth about his relationship with the indicted mysterious, according to Common Cause Director Jay Heck. 

""The Doyle administration has clammed up,"" Heck said. 

Doyle's office has, in recent months, stopped disclosing the governor's weekly schedule to the press. That is why the Capital Times had to fill out a request for the Governor's December whereabouts. 

Heck and his watchdog group have kept on the beat since the Troha story broke two weeks ago. He said the way the Doyle administration is handling the situation is ""disturbing.""  

""It's almost as if the Doyle Administration has something to hide,"" Heck said. 

After the Capital Times obtained the records, Doyle spokesperson Matt Canter told the newspaper Doyle attended Troha's Christmas bash and several other parties thrown by close campaign contributors.  

According to Heck, though it is not uncommon for a politician to attend a party of a contributor, Doyle's downplaying of his attendance at Troha's party—and other meetings involving the wealthy contributor—keeps the public in the dark and frustrates the media responsible for covering him. 

A Doyle spokesperson did not return phone calls on Thursday for comment.