Families of dead firefighters covered under proposed bill

New legislation introduced Thursday calls for an update to the current state law regarding volunteer firefighters who die in the line of duty. This proposal would provide benefits for the families of those who suffer fatal heart or respiratory ailments while on the job. 

State Rep. Garey Bies, R-Sister Bay, authored the bill. 

""A constituent of mine ... who was a volunteer for the fire department ... slumped over and basically died right there of a heart attack,"" Bies said. ""The family found out that that particular thing wasn't covered under Wisconsin's Worker's Compensation."" 

According to Bies, current Wisconsin statute did not provide benefits to the family of the dead firefighter because he was a volunteer, not a full-time employee. However, Bies said these volunteer firefighters show the same selfless dedication as public safety officers on the government's payroll. 

Bies' proposal aims to reflect community appreciation of this sacrifice. In addition, he said this legislation would provide a greater peace of mind for those volunteers serving in fire departments statewide. 

""These ladies and men of volunteer fire departments go out on these calls every day,"" said Bies. ""I want to bring this [amendment] about as quick as possible so they can have that added protection if something tragic happens."" 

Bies also predicts a wide range of support for the new legislation. 

""I'll be working with my colleagues next week, but I know the fire chiefs of these volunteer fire departments are also going to be urging their legislators to sign on,"" he said. ""I'm going to try to expedite it as quick as possible,"" Bies said. 

The bill would give back to volunteer firefighters a benefit that, according to Bies, is long overdue and well-deserved. With seemingly no opposition, Bies is optimistic about his legislation. He hopes to instate the new provision as soon as possible. 

""I think this will have a wide range of support,"" Bies said. ""I would like to see if I could get it passed by June ... it would be best to do before we end the spring session.""