Seniors establish high standards for UW

Badger fans say goodbye to Jason Chappell, Kammron Taylor and Alando Tucker as the three seniors play in their final game at the Kohl Center Saturday. Although head coach Bo Ryan's class of 2007 is a small one, each player has made his unique mark on UW basketball. Whether it was a 3-pointer by Taylor, a thunderous dunk by Tucker or a scrappy rebound and putback by Chappell, the seniors have left Badger fans with many memorable moments.  

Alando Tucker  

Alando Tucker first gained fame as a freshman in 2002 when he broke Michael Finley's high jump record. Now in his final regular season game, Tucker stands only 48 points behind the former two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection and current San Antonio Spur for most career points. Always one to clean the glass, Tucker needs only seven offensive rebounds to pass Mike Wilkinson for most all-time. 

In his freshman season, Tucker started in 27 of the Badgers' 32 games and showed flashes of his potential by averaging 12 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. His 86 offensive boards set a single-season record. 

Hampered by a foot injury, Tucker played in only four games as a sophomore, but he received a medical redshirt. A year later he returned stronger than ever and tallied 15.2 points per contest. Tucker posted a then career-high 27 points in a 69-64 victory against Maryland and also scored a team-high 22 points to help UW defeat NC State 65-56 and advance to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament. 

As a junior, Tucker overcame lingering ankle pains and a nose injury to lead the Badgers in scoring for the second straight season. His average of 20 points per game in regular season Big Ten contests was best in the conference and helped him earn first-team All-Big Ten honors.  

Many national pundits and publications have hailed Tucker as a Player of the Year candidate and deservedly so. At times the senior from Lockport, Ill., seems to will his team to victory. Sometimes it is through a momentum-swinging slam dunk; other times it is through an incredible leap to snag an offensive rebound. Tucker has done it all this year for UW. Replacing not only his talent and athleticism, but also his confidence and swagger will pose a tough task for future Badgers. 

Kammron Taylor 

Kammron Taylor came to Madison as the heir apparent to 2004 Big Ten Player of the Year, Devin Harris. Yet, the 6'2' guard from Minneapolis needed time to play a pivotal role in Ryan's lineup.  

After learning from Harris in his freshman campaign, Taylor shared time at point guard with senior Sharif Chambliss, a sharp-shooting transfer from Penn State, in his sophomore season. Taylor only started 12 times but played in every game and averaged 8.4 points per contest. 

In his junior season, Taylor took over as full-time starting point guard and increased his scoring average by almost six points.  

Although Taylor averages 12.7 points per game as a senior, slightly less than his average as a junior, he has also decreased his turnovers. Some may criticize Taylor for his less-than-stellar performance in the final minutes at Ohio State. Nevertheless, fans must also remember that he made 12-of-16 free throws and scored a season-high 25 points to lead the Badgers to a 72-69 victory over the Buckeyes on Jan. 9. Taylor might not be the most outstanding point guard in UW history, but his leadership and passion for the game will be missed. 

Jason Chappell 

Senior center Jason Chappell took a road less traveled on his way to becoming a full-time starter in Madison. After earning only brief playing time as freshman, Chappell redshirted during his second season after suffering a foot injury. Chappell's minutes in his sophomore season were sparse as he played behind Mike Wilkinson, Andreas Helmigk and Zach Morley. 

The experience Chappell received in his first three years of practice would pay off during his 2005-'06 campaign. He started in all but one game and averaged 4.4 points and 4.3 rebounds per contest. 

With sophomore forward Marcus Landry and junior center Greg Stiemsma playing more minutes this season, Chappell's numbers have decreased slightly. Yet, the 6'10' center from New Berlin, Wis., remains one of the toughest post defenders in the conference. Some would argue that no opponent has defended Ohio State freshman phenom better than Chappell. Badger fans will miss this senior's gritty play in the paint.