Hicks proves talent on self-titled effort

Even Simon Cowell could not have predicted that Taylor Hicks would be the next American Idol when he voted to keep the gray-haired 29-year-old out of Hollywood back in the beginning of the show's fifth season. However, the charismatic singer soon shook, twisted and sang his way into the hearts of millions of viewers, inspiring a fanatically devoted fan base named the Soul Patrol"" and beating out Katharine McPhee in the final to become America's newest ""idol"".  

Simon Cowell even changed his tune after seeing Hicks' first performance, predicting, ""Let me tell you who's gonna be in the finals ... the guy with the gray hair."" However, his comment held a double meaning""although Hicks proved to be talented, much of his appeal remained largely in his unique appearance, causing some to speculate that fans voted for what they saw rather than what they heard. 

In his new self-titled album, Hicks attempts to dispel any critics still remaining and assert himself as a genuine artist. The album is his first major label release""having recorded two albums previous to ""Idol""""and is an homage to the R&B/classic rock sound that Hicks loved so much on the show.  

With a song originally written for Ray Charles, ""The Right Place,"" by Bryan Adams and a few well-sung classic covers, Paul Pena's ""Gonna Move"" and Marvin Gaye's ""Wherever I Lay My Hat,"" it is easy to see where the singer's inspiration lies.  

Two of the standout tracks on the album are ""The Runaround,"" an upbeat, catchy single backed by strong piano, horns and a chorus sure to immediately please Soul Patrol members everywhere, and ""Heaven Knows,"" an intriguing mix of jazz, blues and funk with a familiar riff from Ray Charles' ""What I'd Say"" and an edgy vocal delivery from Hicks. Some songs, such as ""Dreaming Myself Awake"" (penned by Rob Thomas) and ""Places I've Been"" are too slow and sappy to keep up with the energetic drive of the album and fall short, while ""Just to Feel That Way"" is over-produced and over-orchestrated and falls into the cookie cutter pop/rock song that ""American Idol"" winners tend to produce.  

However, the lack of ""Idol"" clichés on this album is what sets Hicks apart from his predecessors. Despite some of the cheesy lyrics, each vocal is heartfelt and solid, and his love for soul and blues emanates throughout the songs, especially in ""The Right Place,"" which is so soulfully sung that it is impossible to imagine Hicks as another talent-less ""Idol"" churned out by reality TV. While the album is no musical landmark, it is a promising start for the gray-haired crooner, and is proof that his fame and talent reach far beyond his hair color.