Feingold worthy of committee chair

This week, U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., has the unique opportunity to lead the Senate Judiciary Committee when it investigates what measures Congress can take to use the ""power of the purse"" against President Bush regarding the Iraq War.  

Earlier this month, when Bush announced his intention to send 20,000 more troops to Iraq, Feingold was the first congressman to step forward and suggest that Congress examine its power to delegate federal spending as a means to combat the troop surge.  

Feingold recently won the chairmanship of the Judiciary subcommittee on the constitution. Now, as acting chair of the full Judiciary committee, he can continue to advance the views of not only Wisconsin residents, but of the many Americans who expressed their disapproval with Bush and the war in November. 

Earlier this month Feingold also proposed a bill that would, in effect, redeploy U.S. troops out of Iraq within months of its enactment.  

We do not support the increase in troops and we commend our senator for stepping up to the plate and responding actively to the situation. However, we acknowledge this bill may reach beyond the fiscal powers at Congress' disposal. 

Feingold's strong opinions regarding the Iraq War should not be misconstrued as left-wing antics, but a devoted response to the demands of the American public for a change. 

We ask our junior senator to use his position of authority to lead the committee effectively and use Congressional fiscal power to get American troops out of Iraq.