Birth control price hike absurd

Attention female students: Your low-cost access to prescription contraceptives is low-cost no more. Effective Jan. 1, the Federal Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 cancelled contracts with pharmaceutical companies that previously charged a nominal price to University Health Services and other similar university organizations across the country. 

Since the act officially went into effect, women may now pay two to four times more per month than the price previously offered under federal contract. It seems odd that an increase in prices for birth control would be stuffed into an act aimed at lowering the federal deficit.  

With a national debt of nearly $9 trillion, $318 billion from 2005 alone, the federal government cannot seriously believe an increase of $20 per month for female college students will put anything resembling a dent in the ballooning deficit. 

Beyond the absurdity of the price increase, this is also an example of classic conservative policy making. It is no secret that many conservatives wish to ban access to contraceptives altogether and, instead, prefer teenagers to practice abstinence. However, raising the price of birth control is not going to deter many college students from having sex. Instead it will only increase the occurrence of unprotected sex and, subsequently, an increase in sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy.  

Luckily, UHS has taken a proactive role in response to the price increase. By offering students alternative financing options—such as inexpensive generic contraceptives, health insurance information and alerting students to Wisconsin's Family Planning Waiver Program—UHS does a great service to UW-Madison students, male and female, and we are grateful for their help. We urge any uninsured women on campus to explore these alternative options. 

Additionally, the American College Health Association will treat this issue as a high priority when its board of directors visits Capitol Hill in February. Hopefully, since UHS is an active member of ACHA, UW-Madison students can stay informed as the issue develops further and more alternatives will open up.