Dowell named WCHA Offensive Player of the Week

The Western Collegiate Hockey Association named UW left winger Jake Dowell the conference's Offensive Player of the Week after the senior led the Badgers to a road sweep of North Dakota over the weekend.  

With the team in need of offense, Dowell arose to the occasion with three goals and an assist over the weekend. 

With UW locked in a 2-2 tie Friday night, Dowell took advantage of a bad line change by the Fighting Sioux late in the second period and fired a rocket shot top shelf over the far shoulder of North Dakota goaltender Philippe Lamoureux. It was the senior's ninth goal of the year, but it was the first that didn't come off a deflection or rebound.  

Wisconsin added another goal in the third period and held on for the much needed 4-3 win.  

The winger carried the momentum into Saturday night's game where he tied the game twice and assisted on teammate Ross Carlson's game winner.  

After tying the game 1-1 in the first period, UW was down 2-1 late in the third period and Dowell took off. In the last five minutes, Wisconsin scored three times, sparked by Dowell's tying goal with 4:55 remaining. 

The senior leads the Badgers with 11 goals.  

Kessel has surgery 

Now in his first year with the Boston Bruins, Madison native Phil Kessel, 19, underwent ""cancer related surgery"" Tuesday and is in recovery. 

WBZ-TV in Boston reported late Monday night that Kessel was being treated for testicular cancer, but other rumors Tuesday included the possibility of depression. 

Kessel's agent, Wade Arnott, confirmed it was cancer, but did not specify if it was testicular, according to the Boston Globe. 

Kessel spurned UW in 2004 when he signed with the University of Minnesota and became a Gopher.