UW Athletic Dept. to revise Camp Randall breast-feeding policy after rash of complaints

The UW Athletic Department will re-evaluate its policy on breast feeding in Camp Randall at the end of the season, after a breast-feeding mother was denied the option of pumping her milk in the stadium's first-aid station earlier this fall.  

After the Wisconsin State Journal's Sunday columnist, Susan Lampert Smith, wrote a Nov. 19 article decrying the stadium's policy, her Nov. 25 column featured Vince Sweeney, the UW Athletic Department's senior associate athletic director, declaring the department has never banned breast feeding and that it has received many angry calls and e-mails over the situation.  

The mother, Amy Olson, said she had to breast feed her child in a regular bathroom, because the stadium's upper deck does not have family rest rooms, the places typically designated for breast-feeding mothers.  

And, according to Lampert Smith, some of the stadium's family rest rooms lack chairs and tables, but Sweeney told her the Department would be willing to supply chairs and ""whatever else is needed"" in the future.