A chronicle of campus life during the Great Depression

UW-Madison was not immune to the Great Depression. Accounts show that times were hard for students and faculty. Luckily, the university's present success and some of the traditions from the era have proved that the storm has been weathered and life went on. 

The 1934 Badger—the yearbook put together by that year's class and editor Owen D. Nee—holds accounts of how the Depression affected university life. It also holds an essay by then-university president Glenn Frank on his thoughts about the situation. 

""A nation cannot suffer an economic dislocation so profound without its institutions having to adjust themselves to its impact,"" Frank said.  

Frank and the publishers of the yearbook both said the university slowed in terms of enrollment and development. During this time Frank said an ""economic blizzard began to chill the campus."" 

These freezes were apparent at different levels. Enrollment dropped to 7,957 in 1934, down from 10,077 in 1929. Sororities and fraternities saw a decline in membership, and tight budgets forced some to close or take out mortgages. Attendance at sporting events was poor. Grades remained up and few students failed, though the publishers said this was probably because the university could not afford to fail many people. 

Students had to fight to keep themselves afloat financially. Some turned to alternative forms of work, such as writing sonnets for others who could not express their love or giving tap dancing lessons for a fee. The Union helped by offering students cheap entertainment and meals, such as nickel sandwiches at the Rathskeller. 

Professors also struggled. They endured pay cuts, salary waivers and budgets that cut back on class books and study-related travel. Even with these hardships, Frank said the morale of teachers was higher than he had ever seen.  

""This is one of the great stories that will emerge from Wisconsin's depression period,"" Frank said. 

Even with these hardships and the halting of campus developments, traditions still blossomed at UW. According to the UW Alumni Association's website, Band Director Raymond Francis Dvorak was hired in 1934 and brought many innovations to half-time presentations, including the arm-swinging during ""Varsity."" The paintings in the Paul Bunyan Room at Memorial Union were also commissioned during the time. 

Frank said that the Great Depression affected the ""tempo of development"" in the university, forcing a serious mindset that he said could not be attained during times of prosperity. He called this seriousness a solidity of spirit. The class of 1934 seemed to agree with him in their yearbook. 

""Viewed from a high point in time, the Depression will probably be blamed for many a dislocation in the educational system,"" the publishers said. ""But likewise, many a gain which is not yet apparent.""