Tarah makes out at the movies

How many of you experienced your first kiss during a movie? At the theater watching something PG-13, or maybe in your parents' basement, the VCR rolling and the door shut at the top of the stairs. Even now, in the false maturity of our college years, make-out movies are still happening with a vengeance. Everybody's always talking about ""To Kill a Mockingbird,"" ""Annie Hall,"" ""The Godfather""—big, sweeping events that leave you breathless and oversexed by the art of filmmaking. Why aren't we talking about one of the single greatest reasons that movies exist at all? MAKING OUT. Anyway, I got people talking about it, and here's what they said: 

""The Sandlot,"" surprisingly enough, achieved the most consistency across the board. Four of the eight people I talked to (five of nine, if you want to include the fact that I often talk to myself) all cited memorable experiences with Benny the Jet, Smalls and the rest of the gang. I think it has something to do with the fact that this movie is so familiar it has become internalized in our everyday lives. How many times have you quoted Squints in the middle of a conversation without being questioned, because the other person knows exactly what you're talking about? ""For-e-ver. For-e-ver. For-e-ver."" It's a fact of life, and in my experience, when this one is popped into the DVD player, it can be assumed that we won't really be watching it at all.  

Other favorite make-out movies include ""Top Gun"" and ""Spider-Man 2."" A certain tall, bearded junior at this university once made out while watching ""New York Minute"" (genius); however, he cites his favorite make-out movie as ""Lost in Translation."" When I asked him why, he mentioned that it doesn't have a lot of movement scenes, therefore no bright, flashing lights to distract from the real action.  

""Grosse Point Blank"" and ""High Fidelity"" were also mentioned, because, according to a good friend of mine, ""John Cusack makes the ladies weak in the knees."" He is absolutely correct. If this were a column dedicated to who we all wish we could make out with, it would be a big, fat tribute to Lloyd Dobler. In your eyes, Lloyd. In your eyes. 

Movies are also a biggie when it comes to first kisses. My first kiss happened in the theater while watching ""What Lies Beneath,"" and let me tell you, it was awkward. My friend Ryan experienced his first kiss while watching ""Titanic"" in the theater (typical—that thing Kate Winslet does with her hand in the steamed-up car gets me every time).  

My other friend Ryan made out with one of his good friends while watching ""Finding Forrester."" Subsequently, things got awkward, but they kept making out anyway. I guess ""Finding Forrester"" is good for that sort of thing. Make note, fun-seekers. It's a doozy.  

So what's your favorite makeout movie? Is it one of these, or something else? While most movies I agree would work equally well in this situation, I, personally, would never make out while watching ""Say Anything."" The best advice I can give is to save Lloyd Dobler for rainy days. Make some tea, cuddle up and find your inner Diane Court. Whether you're a boy or a girl, it's a cure-all. 

Want a movie makeout buddy? E-mail Tarah at tmscalzo@wisc.edu.