Stem cell plan spurs state growth

Gubernatorial candidate Mark Green equates stem cell research with leaving the ""moral compass"" behind. On the other hand, incumbent Gov. Jim Doyle equates stem cell research with an industrial compass that will bring scientific breakthrough and job market expansion to Wisconsin. 

This editorial board shares Doyle's view and supports his newly forged partnership that exempts companies that use stem cell lines patented by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Fund from paying royalty fees so long as the companies partner with in-state, non-profit academic institutions. 

The partnership promotes financial, scientific and educational reinvestment in the state. Financially, it would attract private biotechnology companies, thereby overcoming the tight federal budget for research and notoriously stingy state legislature.  

Though WARF stands to feel the loss of royalties, the plan ultimately proves a boon to statewide industry. Spokesperson Matt Canter estimates that by 2015, the multi-billion dollar industry could attract more than 100,000 jobs statewide. In order to stay competitive with California in stem cell research, Doyle's new partnership is crucial.  

In vying for private companies, the financial relief offered by the plan provides incentive to invest in Wisconsin's biomedical research community. According to Beth Donley, executive director of WiCell, the WARF subsidiary that oversees stem cell research, until now, the licensing fee for use of the WARF patent varied from $75,000 to $400,000, depending on the company's size. In addition to the royalty exemption, companies that invest in academic research in Wisconsin will be eligible for $250,000 grants and tax credits. 

Greater investment could beget increased likelihood of scientific discovery. In turn, the community of biomedical academics in Wisconsin would flourish. Green's adherence to the so-called moral compass could have the tragic effect of exacerbating the ""brain drain"" he blames largely on high taxes.  

If Green assumes office in November, his legislative strikes against stem cell research could precipitate the exodus of prominent researchers and with them, promising research. This editorial board supports the stem cell course charted by Doyle in the latest partnership that encourages the growth of discovery and industry in Wisconsin.