Big Ten tops nations' conferences

By Matthew Fox 

Gameday 

Week five in college football saw some major changes in the balance of power between campuses all over the country. The nation saw only one upset, a 38-27 win by Georgia Tech over Virginia Tech, sending the Hokies down several spots in the polls, and further decreasing the ACC's hopes for a national title. USC, Rutgers, Georgia and Nebraska also looked vulnerable against mediocre opponents, winning by seven points or less in each of their contests. Let's take a look at the nation's top five conferences and the important matchups this week: 

1. Big Ten 

Top Team: Ohio State 

Other Contenders: Michigan, Iowa 

Ohio State showed why they're still the team to beat with a 38-17 win over Big Ten rival Iowa last week. Quarterback Troy Smith continued to make his case as a Heisman favorite, throwing for four touchdowns. Don't look for the Buckeyes to slow down: they've played through the hardest part of their schedule. OSU takes on Bowling Green this weekend and several mediocre Big Ten teams before their regular season finale against Michigan. 

The Michigan Wolverines looked strong in a 28-14 victory over Minnesota last week. Michigan's big three on offense punished their opponent once again. Quarterback Chad Henne had 284 yards passing, running back Mike Hart had 195 yards rushing and Mario Manningham had 131 yards receiving. Manningham has been a headache for defenders lately: in his last three contests he has 381 yards receiving and six touchdowns. The Wolverines have more challenges ahead with huge matchups against Penn State, Iowa and Ohio State. 

2. SEC 

Top Team: Auburn 

Other Contenders: Florida, Georgia 

Perhaps the country's most balanced conference had a scare this weekend as the Auburn Tigers barely held on for a 24-17 win over South Carolina. The Tigers' defense saved them with a much-needed stop late in the fourth quarter. We'll see if the Tigers can get their rhythm back with a matchup against the Arkansas Razorbacks this weekend. Auburn still has future contests against Florida and Georgia before the consensus favorite from the SEC is decided. 

The Florida Gators avenged last season's upset at the hands of Alabama with a 28-13 victory over the Crimson Tide in Gainsville. Florida's defense worked on all cylinders with three interceptions and fantastic pressure on the Alabama offense. The Gators have three difficult weeks ahead with matchups against LSU, Auburn and Georgia. 

3. Big East 

Top Team: West Virginia 

Other Contenders: Louisville, Rutgers 

The West Virginia Mountaineers took a different approach in their last game, a win over East Carolina. East Carolina was extremely effective on run defense, limiting Mountaineer tailback Steve Slaton to 80 yards rushing and his weakest performance thus far this season, but the passing game made up for it with two crucial touchdowns. With a weaker Big East schedule, West Virginia will need to work on balancing this attack before they're ready for a bowl game matchup. 

Louisville is another undefeated Big East team with a lot to prove. They are lead by two consistent rushers and a tough defense that has surrendered only 13 points in its last three games. They have key matchups against West Virginia and Rutgers which should ultimately decide their fate as legitimate contenders.  

4. Big 12 

Top Team: Texas 

Other Contenders: Oklahoma, Nebraska 

The Texas Longhorns face their second true test this weekend against Oklahoma after a blowout win against Sam Houston last weekend. The Longhorns' lack of star power has been exposed, especially in their poor effort against Ohio State. This is to be expected with a new offense this year without Vince Young. Still, the Longhorns have dangerous threats in tailback Jamaal Charles and wideout Limas Sweed. This should allow them to spread their offense against Oklahoma's defense. 

The Oklahoma Sooners should be fresh off their bye week for this matchup. Adrian Peterson has lived up to high expectations and is still the main focus of the Sooner offense. The Sooners will need a spectacular effort from sophomore wideout Malcolm Kelly and more consistent defense in order to contain the Longhorns.  

5. Pac-10  

Top Team: USC 

Other Contenders: Oregon, California 

USC maintained credibility this week with a tough 28-22 victory over Washington State. Quarterback John David Booty was without favorite target Dwayne Jarrett and instead looked to senior wideout Steve Smith. Smith responded with 186 yards receiving and two second-half touchdowns. USC has another difficult matchup against Washington this week and the Trojans' schedule only gets more difficult: they have three games in November against ranked opponents. 

The Oregon Ducks and California Golden Bears also have a critical matchup this weekend which should determine the second-best team in the Pac-10. The Ducks are undefeated thus far and have already shown tremendous toughness in their upset victory over Oklahoma. The country has seen the explosiveness of both offenses but the real determinant in this contest could be the defenses.