Offense returns young with two key leaders

With the Badgers set to begin the 2006 season under first-year head coach Bret Bielema on the road against Bowling Green September 2, many questions remain for an offense returning just 18 lettermen from a year ago. 

Quarterback 

Senior quarterback John Stocco is set to begin his third season at the helm of the Badgers' offense that returns only three starters from a year ago. Stocco has posted a 19-6 record after starting 25 consecutive games for the Badgers, the third- longest active streak in the nation.  

Pushed minimally during spring practice, Stocco is backed by junior Tyler Donovan and freshman walk-on Dustin Sherer. Donovan posses a legitimate running threat at the quarterback position, but will remain No. 2 as long as Stocco is healthy.  

Offensive line 

Three starters are gone from an effective group that allowed Stocco to have his breakout year. Senior left tackle Joe Thomas, a Sporting News and Playboy All-American, is on pace to return for the opener from a torn left ACL suffered in the Capital One Bowl victory over Auburn in January.  

Sophomore Kraig Urbik, the other returning starter, has been moved from right tackle to right guard, making room for sophomore Eric VandenHeuvel to step in opposite of Thomas. The Hudson, Wis. duo will anchor a mammoth right side and will be joined by sophomore left guard and junior center Marcus Coleman in rounding out the remainder of the offensive line. 

Running back 

Gone is Brian Calhoun, a third-round selection of the Detroit Lions and leading Badger rusher from a year ago. A running back by committee may be needed to replace him, as no one player has emerged as the clear-cut starter after spring practice. 

Freshman P.J. Hill is the leading candidate to emerge as the starter come September, but he is in close competition with senior Dywon Rowan and junior Jamil Walker, the only two returning backs from 2005 with collegiate experience. 

Junior fullbacks Chris Pressley and Bill Rentmeester filled in for the injured Matt Bernstein a year ago and are equally dependable run blockers. 

Tight End 

Owen Daniels and Jason Pociask are now graduated and with NFL teams, leaving the Badgers without a single tight end with any game experience. Junior Andy Crooks and sophomore Travis Beckum have been moved from linebacker and defensive end respectively to add depth to the vacant position.  

Both have potential and athleticism, but are still easing into their new position. Junior Sean Lewis, possibly the best receiving threat of the group, will round out the tight end corps. 

Wide receiver 

Like many other positions on offense, this unit lost its top three players from 2005. Juniors Paul Hubbard and Marcus Randle El will be asked to fill the large shoes of Brandon Williams and Jonathan Orr, but neither has shown the ability to emerge as the top threat in the Badgers passing game. 

With the lack of depth and experience at this position, look for UW to rely on its running attack while the passing game develops over the course of the season.