Third election attempt to utilize paper ballots

Associated Students of Madison will attempt to open the Student Council election polls for the third time next week, after technical difficulties caused two postponements. The Student Election Commission voted Thursday to use traditional paper ballots at eight campus polling locations. 

DoIT does not trust the electronic system anymore, and they could not conduct an election using the current electronic system,\ SEC Chair Tim Leonard said. ""At this point, it's just impossible to get a new electronic system to be used by next week."" 

In accordance with the ASM constitution, the elections must be held by next week, Leonard said, so ""paper ballots are our only option."" 

Brian Rust, a Division of Information Technology spokesperson, said DoIT also recommended a paper ballot instead of the online election system. 

However, many voiced concerns during the meeting's open forum over logistics of the paper-ballot system and the unlikelihood of a high voter turnout.  

ASM Chair Eric Varney said he highly encouraged a different online system, but because of SEC's plans for paper ballots, steps must be taken to ensure a fair election.  

""I think, most importantly, we have to make sure the ballots are secure, the locations are secure and the people working there are safe—to make sure everything runs smoothly,"" Varney said. 

Students can vote Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at College Library, Grainger Hall, Health Science Learning Center, Memorial Union, Southeast Recreational Facility, Steenbock Library, Union South and Van Hise Hall. 

Rust said DoIT will assist ASM in their paper-ballot election, which will include arranging electronic systems at each polling location to verify student-identification numbers. 

In addition to the student council election problems, Rust said 436 more ballots were cast than posted in the referenda. However, an additional investigation by DoIT Thursday found no further discrepancies.  

ASM Student Judiciary Chief Justice Nick Fox said complaints about the referenda election will continue to be filed, regardless of SEC's action. 

""The courts are going to decide this one,"" Fox said. ""I'm not going to tell you what to do, but no matter what you decide, it's going to be a student-judiciary decision anyway."" 

Although the Commission did not address the initiatives, the meeting's open forum heard heated opinions on the referenda vote. 

Varney said that the elections are a ""black eye"" and ""overshadowed"" the accomplishments of ASM this semester. He asked the Commission to place the referenda on a ballot for a third time to ensure fairness. 

""I highly believe the initiatives should be reconducted … it disenfranchised 436 voters at minimal,"" Varney said. ""We need to make sure every student has a vote, and it doesn't matter whether that will effect the outcome of the election.""  

Wisconsin Union Directorate President Janell Wise agreed. 

""The election won't be seen as free and fair if you're not counting every vote,"" she said. 

\