Calhoun tops Badger draft class

BADGER DRAFT ANALYSIS PART 1 

With the NFL Draft coming up this weekend, The Daily Cardinal analyzes the Badgers eligible for the two-day selection. The following is the first of a two-day analysis of where they will fall. 

Brian Calhoun, 5'10' 204 lbs. RB 

Calhoun left UW after just one complete season but made a lasting impact, setting school records for carries (348) and rushing touchdowns (22) and finished with 1,636 rushing yards last season. He left the Badger program on a high note, being named the Capital One Bowl MVP after consistently burning Auburn's speedy defenders in UW's 24-10 victory. However, Calhoun posted poor times of 4.59 seconds and 4.62 seconds at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, alarming scouts and dropping him from a potential first round selection to a second or third-round pick Saturday. Size and durability are issues, but his big-play potential should lure a team to make him either the fourth or fifth running back taken in the draft. 

Prediction: second or third round. 

Owen Daniels, 6'3' 274 lbs. TE 

Daniels began his career as quarterback when he arrived on campus, but left as one of the more versatile players on last year's roster. His soft hands and ability to catch the ball over the middle make him one of the more intriguing players in an extremely talented class of tight ends in the 2006 draft. An impressive runner in the open field (4.65 40-yard dash), Daniels improved as a blocker from his junior to senior season, but continued to develop in that area of the game will be key to his success at the next level.  

Prediction: third or fourth round 

Brandon Williams, 5'10' 180 lbs. WR/PR 

If anyone played his way into an NFL career it was Williams, who was the Badger's main big play threat and was also extremely dangerous as a punt and kick returner. Williams ran times ranging from the high 4.3s to the low 4.4s in the 40-yard dash at the UW pro-day and is leaving as the school leader in career receptions (196). He averaged 18.5 yards per reception, 28 yards per kickoff return and 14.6 yards per punt return during his senior season. His size will continue to be an area of concern, but Williams does not shy away from contact. 

Prediction: fourth through sixth round 

Jonathan Orr, 6'3' 190 lbs WR 

Orr has the prototypical body of a wide receiver and his 4.25 40-yard dash time at the UW pro day only helped his draft status. Never lived up to the hype he created his freshman year with the Badgers, but Orr was consistent and a great representation of the Badgers on and off the field.  

Prediction: fifth through seventh round