UW debates animal research for first time in eight years

The University of Wisconsin-Madison broke years of silence Thursday when a UW-Madison professor went head to head in a debate with an animal rights advocate over the University's use of animals in scientific research. 

For nearly eight years prior to the debate, the university did not engage in public debate about how it uses monkeys, dogs and other animals in scientific studies. The event brought the two opposing groups together to address the ethics, effectiveness and practices involved in the University's animal research. 

UW-Madison journalism professor Deborah Blum moderated the event and said she saw it as an indication that UW-Madison is finally opening up to scrutiny. 

I think it suggests that the University is making an effort to be more transparent, because I know that, although Dr. Sandgren originally was the first to agree to the debate, it had to be approved [by those higher] up,\ she said.  

Eric Sandgren, professor of pathobiological sciences and chair of the All-Campus Animal Use Committee, debated with Rick Bogle, a local activist and member of the Primate Freedom Project.  

Sandgren argued animal research is ethical because drugs and discoveries that emerge from such testing benefit people in ways that far exceed the costs.  

Bogle countered with claims that monkeys have many of the same capacities as humans and thus deserve the same rights. 

""The research has shown unequivocally that the minds and the emotions of monkeys are so like ours that research on them is not much different than research on children,"" Bogle said. 

Sandgren argued animals are not equal to human beings and are therefore not entitled to the rights afforded humans. 

""Right now, animals are generally considered property, and that is one of the foundations by which animals are not granted rights in this case,"" Sandgren said.  

Sandgren said he nearly refused to participate in the debate after activists demonstrated outside of researchers' homes, an act some UW-Madison faculty members said they saw as harassment. 

Bogle defended the actions of activists, saying they were trying to encourage a public discussion with the University after its extended silence. 

Blum and other UW-Madison faculty involved said they saw the event as the beginning of a constructive dialogue. 

""I think that every time you [engage in debate], you remind both sides that the other side is not a boogeyman, but just somebody else who cares,"" she said.  

\