Procrastinating your way to some spring break deals

With spring break less than 10 days away and starting earlier than it has in past years, many UW-Madison students may find themselves scrambling to make last-minute plans. Although travel options are limited this late in the game, plenty of deals still remain for a variety of destinations. 

Self-proclaimed procrastinator and UW-Madison senior Andy Klink made his spring break plans a few weeks ago. He found a deal on wwrw.obitz.com that included hotel and airfare to Miami, Fla. for approximately $400. 

Instead of booking the trip through Orbitz, which charges a booking fee, Klink went to the hotel and airline's websites and booked them directly. Although a bit more work, this method 'ended up being $40 to $50 cheaper than it would have been on Orbitz,' he said. 

Students can also save money by purchasing packages from student-oriented companies like STA Travel, which has offices on State Street and in the Memorial Union. For $900, students can get an all-inclusive package to Ixtapa, Mexico that includes airfare, meals, drinks and an ocean-view room at the Radisson. That may sound like a lot of money, but STA manager Frank Hartmann says paying up front has its benefits. 

'Packages are much cheaper,' he said. 'They are really going to help them stay on budget and [they] don't need to worry about anything when they get there.' 

Although Ixtapa may not be a hot spot for the college crowd, Hartmann says being flexible about your destination makes it easier to find a good deal. Klink agrees that keeping an open mind is a good idea for those yet to make plans. 

'If you don't really care where you're going, there's a lot of last-minute deals that pop up,' he said. 'You can definitely find someplace warm at the last minute.' 

Another time and money-saving option is booking a trip with the Wisconsin Union Travel Center. Students can choose between trips to Cancun, Amsterdam and two Jamaican destinations, one to Negril and a service-learning trip to Petersfield. Each trip differs in price and what is included, but 2006 Spring Break Coordinator Katie Kincaid says they all have similar benefits. 

'The Wisconsin Union Travel Center is part of the UW System so students and parents can know they have the support of the university,' Kincaid said. She and other staff members have been to the destinations and stayed at the hotels, offering students firsthand knowledge about where they are going and what they should expect. 

For students who have already made plans but want to save money once they arrive, Klink and Kincaid have a few suggestions. Klink plans to cut costs by buying groceries for picnic lunches on the beach. Because popular destinations like Cancun often raise their prices the week of Spring Break, Kincaid says looking up restaurants and hotels in a guidebook may be useful.  

'I would suggest they decide beforehand how much they're willing to spend, kind of make a budget plan,' Kincaid said. 'Some of those places can be really expensive.'