Cap casualties create '06 NFL 'All-Cut Team'

Connorable MentionAt the risk of sounding like Jerry Seinfeld, I have to say this, What's the deal with the NFL?\ 

I won't pretend to know exactly what's going on with the Player's Association and their labor talks with the league. All I know is it's the latest in over paid athletes and cash-bloated managers arguing about half a million dollars going this way or that. Right now, the beef between players and owners comes down to teams needing to cut veteran players with big price tags. 

What's amazed me so far is the number of players being cut. It looks absolutely merciless. Miami has already cut four members of the secondary while the Chiefs have cut a pair of corner backs and a pair of linebackers. Hell, on force of sheer numbers, a guy could put together a roster of pretty decent football players from just the cut list. That's where I come in. 

No, there aren't enough to create an entire team yet. But there are enough to get a good solid base. Now, let's see. There's defensive tackle Sam Adams, who was cut from the Bills. He's a great run stopper and a solid starting point for any defense. If you lined up Brentson Buckner, formerly of the Carolina Panthers, alongside Adams, a lot of teams could have a tough time running the ball up the middle. 

Ex-Bronco and defensive end Trevor Pryce makes a great compliment to the two slabs of beef in the middle by adding speed and good pass- rush ability. Chris Cooper, previously a 49er, would love a chance to play defensive end after his brush with a positive steroid test in '04 and the ""All- Cut Team"" would be just the place for him to grab his second chance. 

The secondary might be the brightest spot of the ACT (that's ""All-Cut Team"" for those of you who missed it). Pro-Bowler Sam Madison starts at corner and is the rock of the secondary. Another corner cut by the Fish, Reggie Howard would start as well. Howard had a breakout year in '03 with the Panthers. 

The offense is where it gets fun. Tight end Jeb Putzier can play well, err... block well anyway, and he'll offer a decent target if Chad Pennington needs to check down. 

Yeah that's right, Chad Pennington. The way I see it, it's only a matter of time until the oft-injured Marshall graduate gets cut from the Jets. Pennington is at least better than babies like Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. Recently-released running backs Mike Anderson and Stephen Davis would make a decent two-headed attack while Rod Smart (He Hate Me) and Johnnie Morton still have some game to give. 

All in all, I hope the cuts stop, the free agents get back on the market and football returns to what it used to be: the No Fun League. (Oh wait, it still is.) 

Ask Connor about the teams he's been cut from at cgmcknight@wisc.edu.  

\