Wisconsin posts shutout in senior day at Kohl Center

With its first Western Collegiate Hockey Association title under UW's belt, the No. 2 Wisconsin women's hockey team (22-3-1 WCHA, 27-4-1 overall) shutout Minnesota State 5-0 Saturday (8-16-2, 11-18-3). The win completed a weekend sweep of the Mavericks and sent the Badger seniors out in fashion in their final regular season home game.  

The five graduating members of the Badgers'forwards Nikki Burish, Sharon Cole, Grace Hutchins and Cyndy Kenyon, as well as goalie Meghan Horras'were honored with a pregame tribute.  

Five different Badgers scored to help the team to its 10th weekend sweep of the year, and its sixth at the Kohl Center, with Burish notching a goal and two assists to lead the way. The win also marks the seventh shutout of the season for the Badgers. 

To cap off a wonderful day for Badger hockey, head coach Mark Johnson was presented the WCHA championship trophy following the victory. UW Associate Director for Administration Doug Beard and WCHA Associate Commissioner Sara Martin handed off the trophy to UW. Wisconsin clinched the league championship last weekend against Minnesota.  

'It has been a good year,' Johnson said. 'One of our goals was to win a league championship. These players are very committed and very passionate. They won the first league championship for our young program. This is our moment.' 

Contributing also for the Badgers was junior defender Kristen Witting, who notched her first goal of the season, and the first of the game, less than nine minutes into the contest. UW picked up two second-period goals by Bursh and freshman forward Erika Lawler. Junior defender Bobbi-Jo Slusar and junior points-leader Sara Bauer picked up goals in the final period.  

In her final regular season game, Horras stopped all 15 shots on goal, and picked up her the 16th shutout of her career, a school record. 

Friday's game was a thriller. Erika Lawler broke away from the pack with 30 seconds remaining with the game tied 2-2, and unleashed a top-shelf shot from the crease to win the game. 

Burish and sophomore defender Emily Morris picked up goals, while freshman sensation Jessie Vetter picked up her fifth win in goal. 

Wisconsin finishes off the regular season Friday and Saturday at 3 p.m. when they face Ohio State in Columbus.