University Theatre brings Jane Austen classic to life

University Theatre could not have picked a more appropriate time to stage Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice.' Only a few months after the popular movie remake, it seems that anything Austen, especially 'Pride and Prejudice,' is a hit right now. Certainly, University Theatre's rendition of the acclaimed novel should be as well. 

Directed by UW-Madison theatre professor Barbara Clayton, the production takes a 19th century soap opera and brings it to life with strong acting and keen attention to staging and choreography. 

For being a long and involved story set in the early 1800s, 'Pride and Prejudice' is a truly adaptable work. While watching the performance, it is easy to imagine the plotline and characters being revamped to fit modern times. Moreover, the ease with which the drama can be modernized makes it more accessible and enjoyable to audience members. However, the classic interpretation used for the play is very effective and does the most justice to the book. 

All of the parts are well cast, which greatly adds to the entertainment factor. Of particular note are Paul Carbonell and Joanna Buckner as Mr. and Mrs. Bennett. Together they humorously portray the perfect odd couple with Carbonell playing the reasonable yet sarcastic Mr. Bennett and Buckner playing the fanciful and overly dramatic Mrs. Bennett. L. Joe Dahl is a fantastic Mr. Collins, a creepy and laughable suitor. Letecia Bryan is well matched to her role as Lady Catherine De Bough, a conceited socialite. Emily Tucker is great as the boy-crazy Lydia Bennett. Performances also worth mentioning are those of Liz Holtan as Elizabeth Bennett and Jackie LaVanway as Jane Bennett. 

Acting aside, the staging and choreography also add life to the play, lending an authentic feeling to the occurrences of the Bennett family. The addition of certain details, like actual dancing at the balls, gives audience members a clear understanding of the prevalent social customs of the era. 

Overall, University Theatre's production of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' is well done. The good acting and sharp attention to staging and choreography add a smooth pace to the already well-known storyline, which makes the play both intellectually and visually enjoyable.