THE BADGER RUNDOWN

Freshman superstar Yi Ting Siow picked up the first Big Ten title of her blossoming career at UW Saturday, as Wisconsin wrapped up play at the 2006 Big Ten Championships. 

Siow won the 200-yard breast stroke, leading the event from the very beginning, and automatically qualified for the NCAA meets with a time of 2:13.09, a record at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion. Siow actually had a better time in the event, 2:11.59, in October at the SMU Classic. 

'To do what [Siow] did in this conference is a tribute to her talent and hard work,' head coach Eric Hansen said. 

Right after upsetting No. 18 Michigan State, the No. 23 Wisconsin wrestling team (4-3-1 Big Ten, 9-5-1 overall) tied No. 6 Illinois in Champaign.  

Senior Tyler Turner (149 lbs.), despite dominating his match, failed to get a major decision and won 10-4. 

'Our guys are getting to where they need to be and are peaking at the right time of year,' assistant coach Corey Wallman said. 

Facing five consecutive match points, sophomore Jeremy Sonkin came back to defeat Northwestern's Christian Tempke 4-6. 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 1 singles match.  

Sonkin and the Badgers upset Northwestern 4-3 Saturday, picking up a win in the team's Big Ten opener.  

Freshman Badger cross country runner Alicia Pabich picked up 10th place in the 2006 USA Cross Country Championships Saturday in Van Cortland Park in New York City.  

She ran the 6,000-meter course in 21 minutes and 11 seconds, a personal best. Ashley Benson, also a freshman on the team, finished 24th with a time of 22:22.