State Democrat receives threats following concealed carry vote

State Rep. John Steinbrink, D-Pleasant Prairie, said his family has been receiving death threats over the phone following his decision to vote in favor of upholding Gov. Jim Doyle's concealed carry veto Tuesday.  

When Senate Bill 403, the proposal that would allow for qualified Wisconsin residents to posses hidden weapons, was first addressed in the state Assembly in December, Steinbrink voted to pass the legislation. 

However, according to a statement released Tuesday, Steinbrink said he changed his vote after reconsidering the bill's components. 

'I take this vote and this issue very seriously and have heard from a large number of constituents on both sides of the issue,' Steinbrink said in the statement. 'While I have supported concealed carry as an option for law-abiding adults in our state, I certainly understand and respect the concerns that have been raised by law enforcement, employers and others opposed to the bill.' 

In response to the death threats, the Pleasant Prairie Police Department has been keeping watch over Steinbrink's home.