Mavs dash UW’s WCHA title hopes

The members of the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey team were in agreement on one thing after this weekend's series at Minnesota State'??the time had come for a players' only meeting. 

Such was the state of affairs for the Badgers (15-8-3 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 21-9-3 overall) after two unsightly losses to the Mavericks in Mankato, Minn., where the team was outscored 13-7 and saw any hopes of capturing the WCHA title come to an abrupt end. 

'We had a little heart-to-heart with all the guys,' junior defenseman Jeff Likens said of the meeting. 'We talked about what we need to do to get back to what we did at the beginning of the year.' 

The fact is that only six weeks ago the Badgers were the number one team in the country, but now they have a way to go to regain their winning form. 

In Friday night's 6-4 loss, UW opened up a 3-0 lead in the first period with goals from junior forward Robbie Earl, freshman forward Jack Skille and senior forward Nick Licari. But Minnesota State responded with two goals in the final ten seconds of the first, en route to scoring six straight. Junior forward Ross Carlson added the last UW goal in the third period. 

The Badgers held a commanding edge in shots (37), but junior goalie Brian Elliott, apparently still mending from a left leg injury, stopped only 16 of the 22 shots he faced. 

Elliott's struggles continued Saturday night in a lopsided 7-3 loss. The game was tied after one period, 2-2, before the Mavericks scored three goals in the first five minutes of the second period. Elliott (12 saves) was pulled at that point in favor of Shane Connelly. The freshman (11 saves) allowed two more goals in the second period. 

Goals for the Badgers Saturday came from Carlson and Earl in the first period and senior forward Ryan MacMurchy in the second. 

The two losses left the Badgers in third place in the WCHA standings. With the members of the team needing to air their thoughts at the players meeting. Senior captain and forward Adam Burish called it a success. 

'Best meeting we've had in four years,' he said. 'I walk out of here disappointed, but I have a good positive feeling in my stomach right now.' 

Added head coach Mike Eaves: 'They know in their heart they're a better team than they showed this weekend.' 

'The Wisconsin State Journal 

contributed to this report.