Frozen Four will introduce skills competiton in 2006

The 2006 NCAA Men's Frozen Four, hosted by the University of Wisconsin and set to take place this year at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, will have some added flavor in addition to the competiton on the ice. The NCAA announced Thursday the addition of a Skills Challenge to the Frozen Four weekend, taking place Friday, April 7. 

'We are extremely excited to announce the Frozen Four Skills Challenge and look forward to this event,' said Tom Jacobs, NCAA Director of Championships in a release Thursday. 'This should be an outstanding event featuring some of the top college hockey players in the nation, both male and female, and will add to the fan experience to make this into a full weekend of exciting hockey action.' 

Male and female players across the nation who have exhausted their eligibility will participate in the the Skills Challenge that is expected to include fastest shot, fastest skater and most- accurate shooter competitions.  

'We couldn't be happier to be part of the inaugural 2006 Frozen Four Skills Challenge,' said Steve Costello, president and CEO of Bradley Center Sports and Entertainment Corp. 'This special event is a tremendous addition to the tournament-week festivities and an inexpensive way for Frozen Four attendees and local hockey fans alike to watch some of college hockey's best players showcase their talent in what is sure to be an exciting and entertaining event.' 

The Badgers return to WCHA action this weekend, traveling to Houghton, Mich., to take on Michigan Tech.