Food Connoisseurs: David Bacco

If you're looking for a unique way to spend your Valentine's Day, pastry chef and chocolatier David Bacco, of Cocoliquot, 225 King St., has cooked up some sweet solutions.  

Capitol Square's Cocoliquot opened last November with three concepts in mind: an elaborate wine list, an open kitchen set up with French bistro fare and an irresistible chocolate and dessert menu.  

The chocolate menu alone is split up into four flavorful categories: terre (earth), fruit, ??pic?? (spice) and noix (nut). 

'It's almost like a chocolate sushi menu,' Bacco said. 'We were trying to figure out what's the easiest way for people to order when you've got about 20 or so different chocolates.'  

For Valentine's Day, Bacco has also added the 'pour l'amour' category to the menu, which includes aphrodisiac chocolates for girls and guys. Raspberry bon-bons and an edible milk chocolate heart filled with six different chocolates are also offered.  

Bacco is always coming up with new flavors to add to the chocolate menu. One of these is the Caribbean fire, a spicy mix of chili powder and chocolate originating from the Aztecs.  

After establishing his position as pastry chef, Bacco began making chocolate holiday gifts for family and friends. As Bacco modestly put it, 'Everything kind of elaborated more since then.' 

Besides offering chocolates to go at the restaurant, Bacco's chocolates can also be found on campus at Jo Tazzina's Caf?? and Confectionery, 45 S. Bassett St. 

Cocoliquot takes reservations, but assures walk-ins space as well at their cuisine bar and high bar tables.  

'French fare makes it fun,' said Bacco. 'Wine and chocolate always goes well together.'