Police abandon push to pass keg registration

The already-dim possibility that Madison may adopt some form of keg registration became even less likely after the Madison Police Department dropped its active support of the ordinance at a Public Safety Review Board meeting Tuesday.  

'As of right now it's dead,' Public Safety Review Board member Tyrone Bell. 

Technically, the Alcohol Licensing and Review Committee had already killed the proposal last week at one of its meetings. This week, the proposal reappeared on the Public Safety Review Board meeting's agenda.  

The major difference, however, was Madison Police abandoned their resolute support of the bill at Tuesday's public safety meeting by requesting that the keg registration proposal be tabled. 

'[Tabling]'s a way of saying, 'Let's just put this away. We don't want to be bothered with it,'' explained Larry Pasha, a mayoral appointee and co-chair of the board. 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he was surprised the police shifted their stance on the issue so dramatically. 

'It was only a few weeks ago that not only Chief [Noble] Wray, but four high-ranking members of the Madison Police Department testified highly in favor of this at an ALRC meeting,' Verveer said. 

'I showed up expecting 20 uniforms there telling us how horrible alcohol is, and instead they just sent Assistant Chief [Chuck] Cole, who always comes,' Ald. Austin King, District 8, added. 

The tabling marked the third time the Public Safety Review Board has refused to pass a keg registration proposal. Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 10, sponsored all proposals. 

'What Mr. Skidmore's done is bring it back every month. He takes it from one commission to the next commission trying to get it through,' Bell said.  

However, according to safety board alternate member and UW-Madison sophomore Adam Lichtenheld, police support is necessary for the City Council to take the proposal seriously.  

'Essentially, I think it's losing steam, but I don't think it's been completely dismissed yet,' Lichtenheld said. 

One likely place keg registration may resurface is at next Tuesday's City Council meeting, which includes time for keg registration on its agenda. 

'[Skidmore] could propose anything he wants on the Council floor, but there hasn't been expressed support from other Council people up to this point,' Pasha said. 

'It's pretty much now dead on arrival for next week's meeting,' King added.