New group may encourage Wis. alumni advocacy in state legis.

In an effort to garner more legislative support for the University of Wisconsin System, the Wisconsin Alumni Association has created a new coalition called Alumni For Wisconsin in hopes of creating a stronger alumni advocacy.  

Alumni for Wisconsin will replace the Badger Action Network as the newest effort to inform alumni about legislative issues concerning the system, such as declining funding, as well as to encourage them to get involved with lobbying for support among legislators.  

Through the launch of a website, www.alumniforwisconsin.org, Mike Fahey, a UW-Madison alumnus and WAA outreach specialist, says the coalition hopes more alumni will learn about the issues the system is facing and contact their legislators through the website.  

'A website seems to be one obvious way to channel people and get them the most information in the easiest way,' Fahey said. 

Fahey also emphasized that the website is just one of the tools the coalition is utilizing to instrument an overall plan to revamp alumni advocacy.  

'In a democracy, the best way to change a policy is to have concerned citizens be involved,' state Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said, who says he supports the coalition's efforts. 

'Lawmakers do respond to constituent pressure. This effort could be effective if it succeeds in motivating alumni to contact their own legislators and ask for support of the university, and if that happens to any significant degree, that could be very effective,' Black said. 

Cal Wysoki, a UW-Madison senior and member of the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board, stressed that a strong alumni voice could make an even larger impact on future legislation than a student voice.  

'It's essential that alumni help us out in these efforts because legislators, unfortunately, will only take student opinions so far,' he said. 

Wysoki said alumni have the power to not only increase the amount of people backing legislative support for the UW System, but also to increase the effort's overall effectiveness.  

'Legislators seem to like to pay attention to the alumni,' he said. 'I think it's absolutely necessary that the alumni get on board with the student body and the Wisconsin Alumni Association.'