Jump Ball

Something has to give with this match-up. The Badgers have been scorching the nets this season, averaging 83.6 points per game. On the other side, the Seahawks have won with defense surrendering only 56 points per contest. Still, while they have faced sharp-shooters like Northwestern's Vedran Vukusic, who leads the Big Ten in scoring, UNC-Wilmington has yet to play a team with a multiple threat attack like the Badgers. With Marquette clamping down on top-scorer Alando Tucker, Kammron Taylor and Ray Nixon put up 18 and 15 points respectively to lead UW over the Golden Eagles. The Seahawks' defense might be stingy, but they will be no match for Wisconsin's balanced offensive barrage. 

Despite holding their last three opponents under 65 points, the Badgers still have work to do on the defensive side of the ball. Marquette out-rebounded UW and snagged 14 offensive boards. With the Big Ten season less than a month away, the men in cardinal and white will have to bust out the Windex and clean the glass more effectively. Senior guard John Goldsberry leads the Seahawks with 12.4 points and 5.3 assists per game while 6'9' sophomore Todd Hendley packs a punch in the post averaging 11.3 points per contest. Overall, however, UNC-Wilmington lacks the offensive firepower to stay with the Badgers. 

At the age of 37, UNC-Wilmington head coach Brad Brownell has established himself as one of the top young coaches in college basketball. In 2003, he received the Colonial Athletic Association's Coach of the Year Award while leading the Seahawks to their second consecutive CAA championship and a berth in the NCAA tournament. After posting a 19-10 record last season, Brownell has UNC-Wilmington off to a 7-1 start in 2005. Nevertheless, UW head coach Bo Ryan simply does not lose games at the Kohl Center. With a record of 62-3 at the friendly confines, he has set a new standard for home court advantage. 

UNC-Wilmington has already upset Northwestern this season and the Seahawks have had a week to prepare for the Badgers. Wisconsin is coming off an emotional victory over in-state rival Marquette and has had only one day to rest up for the Seahawks. To make matters worse, the Badgers could be looking ahead to UW-Milwaukee, another in-state foe looming on the horizon. In many ways, UW's match up with UNC-Wilmington has upset written all over it. Then again, maybe not. The Badgers have not lost a non-conference game at the Kohl Center since 2002, and no matter how well-rested the Seahawks may be, they cannot match UW's talent. Look for the Badgers to survive an early first half scare to go on to win their eighth game of the season.