Dominant star has proven key to victory

When it comes to Wisconsin-Marquette, there really is no reason to try to break down any statistics, matchups or coaching philosophies to see who will have an edge in Saturday's contest. All one needs to know is this'Wisconsin will ride junior forward Alando Tucker and the home crowd to a statement victory over the Golden Eagles. 

No, it is not some outlandish Miss Cleo prophecy, although the answer does lie among the stars... of the basketball court. 

Since 2001, the rivalry between the Badgers and the Golden Eagles, who will be playing each other for the 112th time Saturday, has blossomed into one of the fiercest in the country. The two schools have alternated victories, with each team winning on its home court.  

This has coincided with something of a basketball renaissance in the state, as coaches Bo Ryan and Tom Crean raised their respective programs to near-elite status. Out of this renaissance has emerged a steady stream of star players who have carried their teams to victory in this annual clash. 

In 2001, Kirk Penney dropped a collegiate high 33 points on 13-of-17 shooting, including 5-of-6 from three-point range, leading the 4-6 Badgers to a stunning 86-73 victory over a 10-0 Marquette squad in Madison. 

The next year the Golden Eagles struck back, ending their four-game losing streak to Wisconsin with a 63-54 win at the Bradley Center. On one end, Dwyane Wade harassed Penney into 3-for-10 shooting and an inconsequential seven-point performance, while on the other end Wade poured in 25 points, four rebounds and three assists. 

In 2002, the series returned to Madison and the next star, Milwaukee native Devin Harris, took it to his hometown team, scoring 15 points, grabbing five boards and dishing out three assists in the 63-59 nationally televised victory. 

Then last year, Travis Diener took his turn, knocking down a game-high 29 as Marquette once again prevailed 63-54 in Milwaukee. 

Now it is Tucker's turn to step into the spotlight, and the Lockport, Ill. native is ready for the challenge. 

'The guys know I'm willing to take a big shot,' Tucker said. 'You know, I'm going to come through. And if it's not scoring, I'm going to create shots for my teammates.' 

In fact, Tucker has already come up big in the rivalry. The argument could be made that Tucker somewhat one-upped Harris two years ago, scoring five of the last six points of the game to secure the win. Yet, that would be just one of four games Tucker would appear in that seasonm as he struggled with a lingering foot injury. 

Fortunately for the Badgers, he received a medical redshirt. Thus while just a junior in eligibility, Tucker is in his fourth year in the program and has emerged as a leader this season. 

'I stay on guys now,' Tucker said. 'I have to talk and be more vocal on the court and help them understand what we have to do, because I understand what coach Ryan wants done on the court.' 

Ryan appreciates the exuberance with which Tucker has embraced his leadership role on a team with just one senior, the relatively quieter forward Ray Nixon. 

'Alando is, you know, when we talk about his leadership, he's a little more excitable that way,' Ryan said. 

That leadership could serve Wisconsin well if the game comes down to the final seconds. 

'If the ball is in my hand at the end of the game, I always feel like I can make the big play,' Tucker said. 

Penney, Wade, Harris and Diener have already left their marks on this raucous series. With the game back in the Kohl Center this year, it would seem everything is set for another Wisconsin victory'as long as the next star, Tucker, aligns to history.