Library Mall will offer student housing with a spiritual focus

The City Council approved the construction of a six-story student apartment building at the Presbyterian House, a student ministry on Library Mall offering alternative housing options for spiritual living.  

After some debate over deficient bicycle and moped parking spots, the council amended the original building proposal to include additional spots. Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, criticized architects for providing a building design that might create congestion near Library Mall and her amendment was accepted. 

The 75,000 square-foot building located at 731 State St. will provide 45 housing units with over 230 beds. These three- and four-bedroom units will each include a full kitchen, living room and two bathrooms.  

\We want a diversity of students living there,"" said Rev. Mark Elsdon, Pres House co-pastor and executive director. He said he expects students interested in exploring their faith would consider living at the student center. 

""I'm supporting it whole-heartedly. It is filling an important niche in student housing,"" said Ald. Austin King, District 4. 

The student center will lease by the bed, which provides flexibility for groups who want to lease together or individuals looking to be placed in a group, Elsdon said.  

The Pres House is hoping to raise funds from donors to provide scholarships to allow students to live there, Elsdon said. Students will also be able to take advantage of employment opportunities to help them meet financial needs, he added.  

The student apartment building will be a place for students who want a spiritual surrounding, Elsdon said. 

""This provides a real interest across faith lines in a place to live that is healthy,"" he said. ""It is a place for developing friendships not surrounding a keg or a party.""  

The apartment building will be targeted toward students of all backgrounds. Elsdon said the rooms will be enticing to both undergraduate and graduate students.  

Although it is an apartment building, there will be resident assistants and directors living in the building, Elsdon said.  

""Having R.A.s will create a little less of a party-oriented environment,"" he added.  

Elsdon said the university has asked the Pres House to create a pedestrian-only area. Parking will only be offered for mopeds and bikes.  

The inclusionary zoning ordinance is in the process of being amended to include this new student apartment building, King said.  

""This project will enhance our mission at the Pres House and will be a major addition to the university and the city,"" Elsdon said.