Police, students report spate of armed robberies on campus

The UW-Madison campus and the surrounding area recently experienced a rash of alleged armed robberies, leaving some concerned. 

Five incidents have been reported in the last two weeks, four of which occurred in very close proximity to the campus area. 

Incidents were reported at the Badger Bus Depot on South Bedford Street, the 200 block of W. Gilman Sreet, near University Parking Lot 91 at 115 N. Frances St., and at an undisclosed near-campus neighborhood. A fifth incident was reported in a residential neighborhood south of campus on McDivitt Road. 

The Madison Police Department is handling each case, and the University Police Department is assisting in the Frances Street case, where two UW-Madison students reported being victimized. 

According to MPD case details, not all the incidents are directly related, but initial investigation linked two of the alleged incidents. 

\We believe there are some similarities between them and could potentially be linked between the same group of suspects,"" said Lt. Karen Soley of University Police. 

MPD Public Information Officer Mike Hanson said that the recent incidents are not a new threat. ""We have seen an increase, but downtown it's been part of what we've been investigating for years ... an increase in the amount of armed robberies. 

""So for us, it's not a large spike, but I think because of the cluster of them, people are concerned,"" he said. 

That concern is a common one as the school year commences at UW- Madison, and the concern is not unique this year, according to Soley. 

""It's a typical beginning of the school year. Crime always increases at the beginning,"" Soley said. ""We always experience an upswing in the report of crime at the beginning of the school year,"" Soley said.  

Between the excitement of the new year and the warm weather, many more students are out at night, Soley said. She reminded these students to always walk in groups. 

She also encouraged students to use the Safe Walk and Safe Ride programs and learn emergency phone locations. Soley said she wants students to ""be aware of what's going on around them and if something doesn't feel right, pay attention to their instinct and get themselves out of the situation."" 

Many UW-Madison students travel home via the Badger Bus Depot, one location of an alleged robbery. According to Badger Bus Supervisor, Sharon, who was not allowed to disclose her last name, safety measures placed at the depot include video surveillance, a phone outside and adequate outside lighting for late-night bus arrivals.