Capitol Square's Farmer's Market virgin

It's hard to believe that after living in Madison for almost four years, I had never been to one of the finest events the city has to offer-Dane County's Farmer's Market on Capitol Square. There is no good reason I hadn't been to it before. Distance was never an issue and I love food and anything food-related.  

I think what it ultimately came down to was that it is held Saturday mornings and I am not what you would call a morning person, to say the least. Although it does stay open until about 2 p.m., one of my friends had told me by that time, all the good stuff was picked over. Week after week, month after month, I would tell myself that I had plenty of time to check it out-three years, in fact. However, that Saturday morning just never came.  

My friend Ben, former food columnist for The Daily Cardinal, would harass me incessantly about not going. He is one of those people who makes it a point to go to the Farmer's Market every weekend, so to him, my actions were completely incomprehensible. I remember him once saying that as a food columnist, I had an obligation to go. 

As I walked to the Capitol, I saw stands sprawled along the entire perimeter of the square with hoards of people leisurely walking through. The scent of fresh flower bouquets wafted through the air as I made my toward a cart selling Wisconsin cheese.  

One of the best things about the Farmer's Market is that many stands will let you sample their product. I was introduced to different types of cheeses, such as sun-dried tomato, as well as variations of pesto sauces. I couldn't leave without a jar of the cilantro pesto sauce and a large bag of fresh cheese curds.  

There are plenty of other wonderful things to be found at this market. The array of organic vegetables offered is not only impressive but also extremely delicious. Bakery items can be found throughout as well as items like fresh fish, meat, fruit, honey and maple syrup.  

Half of the experience is the general ambiance of being right on Capitol square during the summer and fall months. Music fills the area that is abuzz with laughter from adults and children alike. Although the sidewalks can be completely packed with people, there is not a rushed or pushed feeling.  

I also like the idea that it brings together people from rural Wisconsin areas with people from the city and surrounding areas.  

So if you have never been to the Farmer's Market or if you are like me and have had intentions to go but never felt rushed to check it out, my advice to you is to make it a priority to visit before winter sets in and the market moves indoors. The ambiance is half the experience. Besides, for many students, the Madison Farmer's Market will not always be a hop, skip and a jump away. Make that Saturday morning trip to the Capitol Square before you put it off just one too many times. 

E-mail Kat at krpeterson@wisc.edu.