Dane County's Farmers' Market

As outdoor farmers' markets across Wisconsin are opening, many people outside of agriculture may overlook the impact dairy and agricultural industries have on Wisconsin's economy. 

\Wisconsin's farms and agricultural businesses generate more than $51.5 billion in economic activity,"" according to a new study by the University of Wisconsin-Extension.  

The dairy industry generates $20 billion of this total revenue. 

The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board website states, ""dairying in Wisconsin is not just another industry among many, but the industry."" 

""We value their hard work,"" said Rod Nilsestuen, Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. ""The $20 billion dairy industry depends on milking cows two or three times a day, 365 days a year. Our dairy producers are the backbone of Wisconsin's agricultural economy and we applaud their work ethic."" 

The National Ag in the Classroom, coordinated by the United States Department of Agriculture, states that there are just over one million cows in our state, producing over 22 billion pounds of milk. To move all of that milk at one time would require a fleet of 500,000 trucks, each carrying 46,000 pounds (96,000 glasses) of milk.  

AITC also states that Wisconsin is the second-leading butter state, producing 342 million pounds, 25 percent of the total U.S. production. That's enough butter for nearly 13 billion pieces of toast.  

As the number one state in cheese production, Wisconsinites wear this ""cheesehead"" with pride.  

""Just think about this image-no amount of money in a marketing budget could buy it or replace it,"" Nilsestuen said. ""It's an invaluable tool in promoting our agricultural heritage and future."" 

The ""cheesehead"" is more than a molded brick of yellow foam. It symbolizes Wisconsin's prosperous dairy industry. Though the state produces more than 2 billion pounds of cheese each year, according to WMMB, only about 10 percent of cheese made in Wisconsin stays in the state. 

""If [the dairy industry] were to leave this state, the economy would not happen,"" said Shelly Mayer, Executive Director of the Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin. ""Agriculture makes a huge impact on Wisconsin's economy."" 

According to a recent University of Wisocnsin-Extension survey, 420,000 jobs are provided by Wisconsin's agri-business. From factories that manufacture farm equiptment to grocery stores that sell our food, it's evident agri-business impacts all fields.