Council elects president, initiates alders

The election of City Council President Ald. Paul Van Rooy, District 18, highlighted the council's Tuesday afternoon session. Alders elected Van Rooy as victor over Ald. Austin King, District 8, with a secret ballot. 

The remainder of the meeting was dedicated to celebrating the completion of council member's terms while initiating its newest elected officials. 

Under the direction of Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, the meeting inaugurated its newest alders. The council recognized each departing member for particular efforts within their communities and Madison as a whole.  

Those members completing their terms on the City Council were presented with a plaque and given time to address their peers one final time. Many used this opportunity to extend thanks to their families, staff, co-workers and to offer guidance to the new members of council. 

One notable departure from the council is Ald. Jean MacCubbin, District 11. Her service on the council lasted 12 years.  

MacCubbin's speech entailed many thanks to her co-workers and staff, and an analogy paralleling her 12 years of experience to school life growing up.  

Much like all of the other speakers, MacCubbin offered a word of advice from her own experience regarding staying late. 

\There's the time you stay after school, which [in school] was really bad, but here, it's really good,"" she said. 

Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2, was also recognized for her service as city council president this past year. Although she will remain the alder for her district, Konkel left her seat in a memorable fashion. 

""It was a pleasure serving you, but I'm really glad it's over,"" she said. 

Following a brief recess, fresh faces were scattered throughout the alders when the newest individuals replaced their predecessors.  

Among the newest member's of Madison's City Council is Ald. Isadore Knox, Jr., District 13. He expressed excitement about finally being able to officially begin his work as alder. 

""It is certainly an awesome responsibility, from being a private citizen to a public one,"" he said. ""I'll just try to keep in mind the things residents talked about and try to do the best that I can.\